1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Invicta Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coastal Bend, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

After seeing several refrences to Invicta Briar in PSF threads I pulled up the website and started looking. Well, OK, soon I was shopping.

Following an email to ask if the Rhodesian I wanted was available in a "natural" or walnut finish and a quick response from Pete, I placed an order. The prices are in pounds, but the dollar amount is listed also and Paypal will make the conversion for you.

Now, I don't know if it is a case of being studious or slow-witted, but when I read reviews on tabaccoreview.com and the writer says it is their first bowl and with it they declare it their "all-day smoke" or their new "go-to tobacco" I'm amazed. I prefer to smoke the first bowl, the second bowl and still reserve judgement -- because often I have found my perception changes and a tobacco I did not like initially turns into a good smoke later.

The same philosophy carries over to my weighing of pipes and so these comments are after I've had the pipe about a month. It smokes great. Actually even the first half-bowl break-in smokes were wonderful.

I will note the pipe arrived with the mouthpiece opening in a tight-lipped grimace. Passing a pipe cleaner was impossible. In response to a question about it Pete was terrific. He said it must have happened during the bending of the stem -- and then he offered to pay shipping both ways to make it right. Instead I applied a little gentle heat and inserted a jeweler's screwdriver blade, and with a very slight twist up and down it opened enough for a pipe cleaner and the great smokes that followed.

For me this pipe and the pipe maker deserve high praise. Some of my praise came in the form of ordering another pipe from Invicta Briar yesterday, a Curved Pot, which I'm told is on the way already. (I don't know if you can make it out in the photograph, but it is possible to see some stippling already around the bowl as it starts to color. Something I love about smoking a natural/unfinished briar.)

[​IMG]

Oh, and it comes with the nice little leather pipe stand -- but not the Frog Morton or the Maya matches. :)

mojo66, Lithua pipe, SteveH and 2 others like this.
  2. furious

furious Junque collector

Peter Ellam makes great pipes. I thoroughly enjoy my natural Hungarian, and I hope to order another pipe soon.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Thats a great looking pipe...and some great matches too.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. Bob K

Bob K Member

I ordered a Hungarian a couple months ago. A little smaller than I anticipated. Walls a bit thin. Smokes hot with C&D Star of the East (my every day smoke), but is OK with Pirate Kake. Nice small pipe.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  5. Coastal Bend

I was interested in the Lovat in the classic collection, and asked about what appeared to be a small bowl. Pete said it was it was in response to the high cost of tobacco there. (However, the bowl on the Rhodesian is fine and the bowl is about the same size on the Pot I have on the way.)

SteveH likes this.
  6. Spam

Spam Member

Love my Invictas. Shall probably treat myself to another one after Christmas.

I think 'small' pipes to you yanks are 'average' pipes to me. Some of the pipes I've seen on here are absolute whoppers!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Can any of their pipes be sandblasted on request? I like his shapes but I didn't really see any available that are sandblasted. If so, I would be inclined to order one soon!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  8. Coastal Bend

Send an email through the web page. He is very responsive.

9. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

I've got an Invicta 'Rhodesian', as well: exactly the same, only stained darker. It's a great pipe, as are all my other Invictas - I've got seven. One of them, a 'Banker' with an amber stem, is unstained, and it too is starting to darken nicely.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

My Invicta Hungarian, Dublin, and Dublin Churchwarden all have smallish bowls. The others are average.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  11. furious

furious Junque collector

Traditional British makers' bowls were always on the smallish side, esp. by today's rather gargantuan standards. It is refreshing to see that some English makers still produce these classic shape in their proper proportions.

Spillproof and Coastal Bend like this.
  12. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

Re. that leather pipe stand: I got one of them with my 'Gaddesden' Invicta, a more expensive one of his own design, but not with the 'Classics'. It puzzled me for ages - couldn't work out what it was. I eventually twigged that it was a stand! Duh...:doh:

Coastal Bend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.