1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

IRC Three Star Blends in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's rare to hear anyone mention IRC Three Star Tobacco Blends . I enjoy a good number of them and some I think are top notch ! The IRC traditional blends are what I go for mainly . The Old Colonial blend is one of my favorites . Anyone that smokes CH should give it a go . Its a super mild topnote/light aro blend that kinda reminds me of CH , though it has a super mild coconut topnote . Ya wouldnt know it's coconut unless someone told you it was ... Kinda like you might not know Middletons cherry had cherry . The IRC Buttered Rum is an amazing aro ! It tastes like it smells , which is to say .. fabulous ! The IRC Cherry Cordial is , by far , the greatest Cherry Aro in the world ! It tastes like natural cherry .. not candied or fake . The IRC private blend taste just like the Spillman mixture that people enjoy .. I cant tell the difference in their flavors . The Three Star Royal is a great blend .. English in style w/ a mild amount of Lat and mildish amount of oriental in the base [ Burley/va ]. I smoked the old Dunhill Std Mix Med as my Lat blend for a good while and this blend took it's place . It burns perfect . All the Three Star blends lean towards the drier side than wet . The Cordial blends [ Buttered rum , cherry , vanilla ] are cased more so and are more moist . All the Three star blends are easy to light and keep lit .. total no brainers ... a very American idea . No wonder a bazillion guys smoked pipes back in the day ... the blends were a breeze to deal w/ .... who wouldt want to smoke !? The Three star Blue and Red ... have a topnote / aro flavor that I cant place and are my least favorite of the line , plus they smoke a little warm . I have a friend that smoked Captain Black out the wazoo and I turned him onto ThreeStar Banner light and he really loves it . Strangely I got the same metallic flavor in the Banner Light that i got in CB . The Doctor Bradley is a fantastic , and maybe the first popular crossover blend . If someone likes the Frog Morton .. they should give it a shot for fun ! The Dutch blend is like a broken up rubbed flake [ so like double rubbed ] and is super mild w/ a touch of something to add flavor to it . If it didnt have the touch of something , it might not have a flavor . I know that sounds lame but this stuff is pretty good and interesting .The Affinity is a straight forwad Burley va blend . The International is kind of an American English blend thats pretty straight forward as well and one of the better non aros they have , The Three Star blends I havent tried .... Green , Grey , Gold , Ebony , KoKo and Canadian Plug [ which has some cigar leaf ] . Anyway , this is a bit long winded and isnt a review so much as a general rant about a bunch of traditional Americans blends that have their own " back in the day " flavors . The Cordials are really fan freakin tastic aros .

Dondi likes this.
  2. kttfire13

kttfire13 Member

I have smoked a couple of IRC blends and love them. My favorites are Three Star Blue, The Star Green and my favorite is The Star Banner Light. My wife, kids and grand kids love the aroma of Banner Light. Well that's my opinion on IRC blends that I have tried.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. ruffinogold

They all have great room notes ! My buddy , Rob , could smoke a pouch every 3 days of the Banner Light :) Kttfire13 , if ya get the chance to try the Three Star Bronze ... it's kinda like the Banner but w/ more umph

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I tried a 3 Star sampler about 40 years ago and I wasn't impressed but my palate wasn't developed at all back then. I might try them again.

5. ruffinogold

That cool . Just know that , other than the Cordial blends , the others are pretty old school style . Heres their sample link .. https://www.iwanries.com/your-choice-sampler.cfm

6. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

Right now I like the IRC Canadian Plug. Ill try the rest later.

7. ruffinogold

Thats one i never had . How is the cigar flavor in it ? Up front ?

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I tried some Three Star Blue, not a bad aro except for the "blue" meaning the color of the flame it produces out the bit of the pipe. Like smoking a blow torch for me.

Rodfather likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

Yeah , i found the blue and red to smoke a bit warm also . The others I mentioned werent like that . The Cherry smokes Ice Cold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.