Irish Flake .....flaky

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WillH, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillH

WillH Active Member

Bummer! I smoke Irish Flake once-in-awhile, not daily, but I still enjoy the robust flavor and a soothing hit of nicotine. Especially with a wee dram of well aged single malt. I fear those days are gone forever. Ordered some Irish Flake the other day and it arrived in a square tin! Not the usual rectangular tin of days past. Still, I figured as long as the tobacco was good the tin is insignificant. Right?!

Wrong! The tobacco is a mild version of what used to be great. The tobacco contained lots of water and is not pressed nearly as tight! Another damn good hall mark traditional tobacco bits the dust.

Way to go Peterson. I hope you're proud on your marketing. Peterson pipe quality has been steadily slipping down hill for the past few years and now the tobacco is going into el Cheap'o standing as well. [​IMG]

Will

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

I wonder why they would do something like that. It makes no sense to me. Who knows...

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Probably trying to stay alive in a declining market! I would pay more for the tobacco but many smokers wouldn't. I'd rather have a wonderful tobacco once-in-awhile than mediocre tobacco all the time. Better to smoke less and enjoy it than smoke often and not............

Will

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

An absolute shame.

Good thing there are still some excellent blends/brands out there that show no sign of giving up. Rather the opposite!

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i had a similar reaction but i strongly suspect it has more to do with the tin. the blend may have changed a bit but the older tins didn't have as good a seal, and i never get quite the same nic-hit from a really damp bowl. the rep gave me a few tins of the new one and after equivalent amounts of drying (yes, i tested them side by side) with my newer-old tins they smoke the same and hit me the same.

that being said i'm still working my way through the first half of the batch you sent me, will.
    thank ya!

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

I still have some of the older tins - sadly not many. Didn't see this one coming........

Opened an older tin this evening just to make sure I wasn't having a tin obsession. The new stuff isn't much different than University Flake. Comparing the new IF with old IF side by side was disappointing and prompted my thread.

I know Perterson will never admit to changing the tobacco but we both know ..........

Your welcome!

Will

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Damn shame! I've been working my way leisurely through the Peterson tobaccos ( some of course made by Orlik in Denmark ) and this one's number was about to come up on my next visit to either Newcastle or Durham - I'll still give it a whirl and see what like it is...

Best to all and thanks for the Heads Up!

Gerry

8. ddandb

ddandb Member

You're killing me with this.

Just about finishd my older tin so I ordered 6 more. Should be here today.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Glad to see ya back WillH! Hopefully the tin you got was a "lemon" or someone spilled their coffee/tea into the tin prior to it getting sealed. Bummer if Pete leaf is getting shakey in consistency. I remember you giving away a bunch of your old Pete IF last year. I can only imagine how pee'd you are. Hopefully your next new tin of IF will be "spot on"! I don't smoke it, it's still too strong for me to enjoy although, I am building up my "N-muscles" and becoming stronger and stronger as the bowls go down!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. raf66

raf66 Member

What he said. I love IF and most of my tins and cellar jars are filled with IF that is only a year or two old. Here's hoping that Pete works out the kinks.

11. ddandb

ddandb Member

Well my 6 tins of IF were waiting for me when I got home today.
    Sure enough the tin shapes have changed. Hope what is on the inside is the same.
    Soon as my current tin is down to a couple of flakes I'll pop open one of the new ones and post some comparison pictures.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'll be honest, I saw, and see, no difference. Bad tin? Batch? Maybe.

The fact I can't disecern a Chardonnay from a Cabernet Sauvignon may be more telling. I'm content with the new tins, but then I would be.

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

I do remember! I thought I had too much around and needed more Escudo! Damn! I never thought Peterson would mess with IF, but they did.

I'm sitting here looking at two tins of the same tobacco! Damn, these tobaccos are not the same by any means of comparison. One is tightly pressed, damp - not wet, and full of aroma. The other is lightly pressed, wet as hell and smells like a mild version of the original. Seems there's plenty of happy customers...........so what do I know?
    Life is a compromise of conflicts between politics and religion......................[​IMG]

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.