1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Irish Free State Pete

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Kiowapipe, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Bought online what I assumed would be a beater estate Pete. Got it today. After a little cleaning and examination, it's a pre-republic 'Irish Free State' pipe. Probably around 80 years old. I believe that makes it the oldest and most collection-worthy pipe I've ever owned. On one hand that's a pretty cool surprise- on the other hand, I'm not really sure what to do with it and I almost feel bad refurbing it and putting back into service. What do you guys think? Is this actually a rarity? Should I feel guilty about giving it a bleach'n'buff and firing it back up?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

No. Fire it up and enjoy it. That's what Peterson made it for.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:poke:

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ouchy! :)

Smoke it. I bid on an excellent condition Pre Republic not too long ago. The winner paid $47, I believe. They may be more rare than the current production, but I personally don't see them as investments, or museum pieces. They're pipes....might as well enjoy it for what it is. Darn, huh?

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Sweet. Thanks guys. That's inevitably what I would have done, but now I can do so without any twinges of conscience :sh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.