1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Is Bing Canadian??

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by James Harr, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harr

James Harr Member

I have to say that I am currently enamored with the straight pipe. I am a little confused about terminology though. I know that the actual Bing (Crosby) smoked various pipes of different shapes, but he seems to be associated with long-ish straight pipes. So my question is this... Is a Bing style necessarily a Canadian or are there others that fall into the Bing camp? What would distinguish these?

Thanks,
    J--

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Canadians have a very long oval shank and a very short stem. Bings have a long thin shank and stem (not as long as a church warden) and the stem sometimes has a slight bend similar to a prince.

Lestrade and TxPipesmoker like this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'd say a Bing and Canadian are two different pipes, shank is smaller and longer on the Bing's I've seen, especially if you look at a picture of Bing Crosby smoking one you will notice the shank is long and almost pencil thin, take a look at the Savinelli "Bing's favorite" I think it's pretty close for an Italian interpretation of the Bing pipe.

4. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

James, right with you on the being "enamored" with the Canadian style pipe. This Mountbatten I'm working with is such a good smoker I'm looking for another (Canadian).. Arkie answered my question also in regards with the shank length on the pipe. So then what about the "Billiard"?..shorter shank, longer stem correct?

5. colemate

colemate Member

From Bing Crosby biographies it seems that his pipes were custom made for him to his own specifications and might therefore be unique. However there are many pictures from which to guess the type or style. The interesting question is ....who made them. I have seen a picture of him with a tin of Heyward Mixture on the table.The picture was from the forties or so.

6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Is a "Bing" a "Billiard" ?

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It looks as though Bing Crosby had a pipe carver make him a billiard with a couple of slight modifications. I comissioned Sas to make me a prince but I asked that it not have the squashed bowl that is typical of princes so, in a way, it is sort of unique too. Maybe I ought to call the the shape "the Arkie". Just kiddin' about the last bit. It would be waaay to pretentious.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I always thought that the "Bing Pipe" design was influenced by both the Canadian and Churchwarden styles, but it was of his own design. At least I've never seen any other notable person of his era with that style pipe. It was unique to Bing Crosby, and no doubt reflected his own unique needs and sense of style. I think there is a good chance that he realized that a pipe was a big part of his persona and appeal, so he probably wanted a signature pipe.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  9. James Harr

James Harr Member

I grew up in Spokane (like Bing) and was just there for the holidays. I went to the Davenport Hotel and in one of their display cases, they have one of Bing's pipes. I wish I had taken a photo, but it was pretty cool anyway.

Lestrade likes this.
  10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

That must have been cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.