Is Hearth & Home Marquee Black House almost like Balkan Sobranie?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by leonidas, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonidas

leonidas Member

......i contacted the good folks at Pipe and Cigars to ask them about Balkan Sobranie.....

...... they were out of Balkan Sobranie. but they suggested H&H Marquee Black House as being very similiar...... has anyone tried both and agree?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

No. Sorry, but not close, and shame on them.

Edited to add, new BS is not like old BS, so keep my prejudice in mind.

3. leonidas

leonidas Member

....thank you, jpberg.......

.......it always amazes me why tobacco companies don't continue to offer the blends that people enjoy... instead of stopping production completely or changing the blend............ if it isn't broken, why change it???

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

In the case of Sobranie, they went out of business, like many other Great blends in that era.

5. leonidas

leonidas Member

.....oh i see..................

6. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I will defer to Berg's knowledge here as far as similarity, since he has actually smoked the original BS, but I will say that Black House is a damn fine blend, in this man's humble opinion. It was blended for a competition, the "Sobranie Throwdown" or something like that, and it was intended to emulate original BS. While I've heard that it cannot successfully copy that venerable blend, it still stands on its own as a great blend.

Essentially, the problem with trying to recreate Balkan Sobranie is the lack of access to the component tobaccos used in that blend. It was the highly quality Oriental leaf (specifically Yenidje, I believe) that made Sobranie so good, as I understand it, and the leaf either doesn't exist anymore or cannot be bought by the pipe tobacco blenders. So it's like trying to make lasagna without ricotta cheese. You can still make it, but it won't be the same, and it won't be as good. I would say don't chase something that tries to emulate Sobranie, just chase down blends that you enjoy.

Yankee Bill, YAPPG, furious and 3 others like this.
  7. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

It's not just the lack of Yenidje. Black House is sweeter than the old Sobranie. They were trying to replicate 759 as it was from the sample they had, and not as it was when originally sold. That makes a difference. Torina is closer to 759 than BH is, but it's not exact either. There is no exact match. I like Black House for it's own merits, though.

YAPPG and Mount Mandolin like this.
  8. furious

furious Junque collector

BH is a great tobacco and has much in common with the old BS. I say cellar high and deep fellas cause I predict this will age beautifully!!

JimInks, YAPPG and Mount Mandolin like this.
  9. blendtobac

blendtobac Member

BlackHouse was intended to reproduce a 23 year old sample of 759. I have tried to make it clear to our customer service people that it is not a copy of Sobranie 759. Sorry for the confusion.

Russ

Morse and JimInks like this.
  10. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Russ, After all the questions this weekend about P&C, it's so good to see you here.

Morse and JimInks like this.
  11. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

It's still a darn good smoke! I like it.

YAPPG likes this.
  12. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Black House is in my top 10.

JimInks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.