1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it America's smoothest smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I haven't heard of Velvet until recently. It gets the usual mixed reviews from old stand-by to don't touch it. I don't find the label very attractive (I know, the most important part). What's the concensus on this blend? It looks like it comes from the late 60s/1970s. Is it really America's smoothest smoke or is this just hyperbole? I'm sure it's smooth, it is an OTC, but this is farther off my radar than most. It would be interesting to compare long time smoker's opinions to newbies', if any new smoker has even heard of it.

Thanks.
    WK

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd say pass on it ... but ya never know . I think it's gross and tastes like Play doh .

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

What Ruff said!!!

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I can't comment on Velvet personally, but when a tobacco touts itself as America's Smoothest Smoke, it reminds me of when beers (usually light beers) claim to be the most refreshing; it just seems like they're trying to put a good spin on "watered down". If I want an inoffensive, unchallenging smoke, I'll light a cigarette, and if I'm really thirsty and don't want something filling, I'll drink a glass of water. I consume beer and pipe tobacco because I want flavor.

WillH likes this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The only Velvet I have had the pleasure to come across was ca. 1980, sent to me with some samples. It was jet black. Presumably nothing like a current incarnation. It was delicious. So... buy some, and store it for 30 years, and you gots you a treat.

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Whew! glad I passed it up this weekend. I was staring at it but, I picked up some SWR instead...

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I smoked some a few years ago because it was one of my uncle Danny's perennial favorites, and I have very fond memories of the man and his beloved corncobs. I thought the flavor was alright, and most people liked the room note. However, it gave me heartburn something fierce.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I never tried a lot of the old OTC blends such as Half & Half, Velvet, Grainger, etc because I considered them RYO cigarette baccy. According to what you guys have said in this thread I haven't deprived myself of anything special.

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I would not automatically equate OTC with RYO.

10. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

A fruity, PG laden OTC. It burns, and it is pipe tobacco, otherwise nothing to recommend it to me.

11. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Back around 1990 I remember smoking a half a pouch of it. My room-mate at the time asked me if I was smoking dead babies. By far and away the strangest "room-note" comment I have ever received.

HCraven likes this.
  12. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I bought a little pouch-in-box a couple of years ago and remember being thoroughly underwhelmed. I think I smoked a half dozen bowls or so and then tossed it into my "American-English" jar where all disappointing Burleys go to end their days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.