Is it common to find older tins in B&Ms?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LifeOfRiley, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I recently posted about noticing that a tin of Classic Samsun I bought at a local B&M a few months ago was from 2007 (score!). I'd never bothered looking at the dates before; I assumed that everything would be fairly recent.

I was back in there a few days ago, checked the dates this time, and came across a tin of Frog Morton on the Town from 2008 (score!). I found a few others that I didn't get that were at least as old.

This B&M seems to do pretty good business, so it seems strange that they'd have shelf space allocated to product that's not moving. But then, if something like FMotT isn't turning over, then maybe their pipe business isn't really that great (even though it seems to take up most of the store).

Does anyone else find old tins with any regularity?

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I imagine that they move a lot of the "standard" blend awhile the others get less action.

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yea, I often find older tins of Escudo at my, well not so local B&M.

4. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

One of the nice things about the McClelland tins is the production date on the bottom. :D I've found older tins at smaller B&Ms. Larger outfits like Pipes and Cigars or Cup o' Joes seem to move more tobac so you usually get a newer tin.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't know how common it is, but it sure is fun when you come across a tin of something you like, with years of age on it, and a discounted price because it hasn't moved. MMMMmmm :bing:

Old Codger likes this.
  6. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

The place I frequent often has old McClelland tins. The oldest I've picked up there was 2003.

7. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Found tins of McC 22 (2008) and 27 (2006) at another B&M today.

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Many of the small B&Ms that I've visited are not under the gaze of an accountant chanting FIFO ( first in first out) or have any staff from the grocery trade where new stock is always loaded from the rear so that the oldest is in front. It's not unusual to have new stock just placed in front of or on top of tins that are already there.

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  9. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Note to self: Treat shopping for tobacco like shopping for milk--always check the date. :D

LifeOfRiley and Old Codger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.