Is it me or the pipe?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by TampaPete, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Hello,

I'm new to pipes, about 2 weeks in. I have a $5 corncob and a $25 bent Kaywoodie Saxon. I've gotten to the point where I can effectively load and smoke a full bowl consistently in the cob, but I can't for the life of me get a consistent experience with the Saxon. The cob smokes cool, no ashy or burnt taste. The Saxon gives me an overly smoky/ashy taste and seems to burn really hot most of the time. I also get alot of gurgling and wet conditions. I cleaned it out with some Canadian Club, hoping to "reset" it, to no avail. I've been smoking some bulk blend samples from my local shop, Tobacco Depot, mostly aromatic/semi-aromatic ("Simplicity", "Blue Note", and "Night Cap").

Any thoughts for a frustrated noob?

Thanks!
    -pete-

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Does the kaywoodie have a metal stinger fitted in the stem?

The cob will allow you to move a lot more air through the pipe than the kaywoodie, is my thoughts. In this case, I'm gonna blame the pipe, because KWs smoke nasty for me too. I just couldn't get them to behave.

If it does NOT have the metal stinger, what is the draw like when you take the stem out? Suck some air through the stem, and through the stummel, and then put the stem back in and see if it feels different. One possibility is that the stem's tenon is getting in the way of the airhole in the shank....

3. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Nope, no stinger. It does seem a little light on the draw though, more like a coffee stirrer than a straw.
    Should I just stick with the cob until I save up enough change for a good bulldog/rhodesian?

4. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Drawing air through the stem and stummel both produce more air flow on their own than when assembled. I inspected the stummel more closely and the hole leading the bowl and the hole in the end of the stem do not line up! The hole to the bowl is offset towards the top of the pipe, by a distance of maybe half the diameter. I'm not opposed to some "customization", would enlarging the vent be worth a try?

Thanks for the suggestions!
    -pete-

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

My experience with KW's is they smoke very wet at first (moreso than many others). I got so p/o'd that I "clipped" the stinger and widened the stinger's draft hole. Now a PC will pass to sopp up any wetness as well. So, now, my KW smoke better. Don't know if it was the "clip'd stinger" or the bowl getting broke in or both. I tend to dislike stinger loaded pipes (Medico/Grabow "filters" as well).

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah I would look at one of two methods to fix this. You can either make the hole a little oblong and drill/scrape out the bottom of the mortise to connect to the air hole, or remove a little material from the tenon of the pipe. The latter method is easier, all told - sand it off at 45 degrees and see if the airflow is better.

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice to know it's not you, huh? :th1: Sorry to hear about the bum smoker...either of Todds suggestions should help it out q lot. I would take a small rat tail file to the draft inside the shank...see if you can lower the draft hole enough to line up.

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

There are many fans of KWs and Grabows, but I am not one of them. I also have found them to be hot, wet and bitey. No offense meant to those who like them. Sounds like you are also smoking some tobaccos that are prone to hot and wet smokes, ie cased aromatics. I would try a step up in pipes and tobacco, and see how you fare. If that isn't an option, nothing wrong with cobs either.

9. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Well, I did some filing and light drilling, and it smoked better...for the first two-thirds of a bowl. It started gurgling for the last third and wouldn't stay lit. I think I've about given up on this one. I ordered a Savinelli Florence bulldog and a few tins from smokingpipes.com last night, so perhaps that will treat me better :)

10. slprl1

slprl1 Member

The Savinelli is a great pipe. I have 6 of them. You'll really enjoy it. My advice, toss the balsa wood filter when you get it. Smoke it without any filters.

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Savinelli's are great pipes, the balsa system is great too, give it a try, but if you decide not to use the filter's be sure to use the converter tube to maintain proper draw and avoid condensation build up.

12. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

The Savinelli is great! I've had a couple bowls of Petersen's Deluxe Mixture...very nice.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If youre in Tampa .. bring it to Edwards and have them look at the pipe given ya trouble and more than likely they'll be able to help . The owners of that shop own FGT and are top notch folks in the indusrty .

14. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Edwards is nice, a little pricey, but it is local. They have an impressive amount of house blends. What's FGT?

-pete-

15. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

You did the right thing. You will want to order some more of those Savinellis for backup.

16. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

My Kaywoodie smokes fine but it accumulates wetness fast on that metal stinger as well. But I find the moisture to be high on most pipes when smoking anything VA based. Perhaps try a burley in the kaywoodie.

No matter how is collects liquid I don't mind passing a pipecleaner, i keep 3 on me for every bowl anyways for just that reason. Also that stinger with the locking scresws is so awesome i wouldn't give it up. Very neat.

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

The stinger is doing what is was designed to do, collect moisture and tar from the smoke stream.:th1:

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

My experience with Kaywoodies is limited I will admit. I always removed stingers from any pipe I ever had that came with one until a friend sent me a 4 hole stinger Kaywoodie which worked a treat for me from the off. I smoke mainly medium strength virginias and usually enjoy them Brit style - ie on the moist side. The 4 hole Woody has never been a gurgler with me.

However I have had Woodies with the stinger clipped and the story there was rather different - they cast moisture as if it were going out of fashion, gurgled and even leaked around the screw in joint.

I found slow smoking was the secret, but maybe I have just been lucky

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.