1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my luck? Dan's HV with creosote?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bacek, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacek

Bacek Member

After reading a lot of good things about Hamborger Veermaster from Dan Tobacco, I decided to take my chances and ordered 2 tins along with some FVF. Yesterday I got my order, cracked one of the HV tin open and was surprised by strong Latakia smell... WTF!!?? HV supposed to be Va flake, right? Where did Latakia came from? Smoking this tobacco was the same as smoking any other Lat blend - creosote and... some more creosote. Is it my luck of getting wrongly packaged tin or HV has Latakia in it and everybody just keep quiet about it? Man, I'm so pissed...
    Now, what am I going to find in FVF tins? F.... cavendish?!

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Wow! Maybe they mispackaged some Old Ironsides. HV is definitely a Virginia flake, and you'd probably love it... if you had it. :cfsd:

Oh, was it a flake or a ribbon?

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Never tried it yet myself, but everything I've heard or read about it states it's a straight VA. Not sure what happened to your's, but sorry it wasn't what you'd hoped for.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Unreal . That would be a first as far as I've heard . Bummer .... HV is one of the best Va out there . Either they screwed up or someone droped some liquid A [ :hp2:] in yer drink .

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I don't think you got anything special....just some really fine weed.

6. Bacek

Bacek Member

It's poorly packed broken flake.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

The VERY stoved straight VA HV (that some of us swear has perique in it) is unlike any other; it is dark-dark and I can see you picking up a creosote thingie. No latakia. Explore it slowly.

8. Bacek

Bacek Member

Now, looking back I can recall that the paper inside the tin was not crimped nicely, like machine crimp, it was definitely hand wrapped. Bastards!!!
    And no, mine is not dark-dark, its regular brown color. Nope, it's not Latakia hint, it's nothing but Latakia...

9. Bacek

Bacek Member

Looks like I got lemon. Actually two of them. My second tin is absoluly the same - poorly packed broken flake with the same strong Lat stink... Any suggestions?

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Nope, not Old Ironsides, but I don't get the Latakia thing. On my worst day, it tasted flat (I think my taste buds had gotten fried somehow that day, and I might have puffed it too hard), but most of the time it is rich and flavorful, somewhere between Hal O' The Wynd and GAF; tangy, yet with the nice sweet hay/lemon grass flavor, though I don't get a Perique note, as I sometimes do with HOTW. Slowly, as Moo said, is the operative word.

If it doesn't get better for you, you do have some potent trading kung-fu there...

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Call them, and make arraignments to have it sent back, or at least have them send the correct stuff.

12. Bacek

Bacek Member

The problem is they are in Germany. It cost me arm and leg already... I sent them email, will see...

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Did you recently smoke a lat bomb in the pipe that you smoked the HV in ? Or .. did ya just smoke a lat bomb right before ya lit this stuff up ? Other than that .... hell , theres either something else in the tin [ which could happen I guess ] or someone dropped smething in yer drink . Hint , if none of the artwork in your home is talking to you .... they probably put something else in the tin by accident . Latakia is pretty dark , so if theres nothing dark in there ? :msty:

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Dan tins have been having issues for a while. Last spring (fall?) I got 3 tins of OI from 4noggins, 0ne was OI, the other two weren't. Rich hadn't heard any other complaints, but he only got in a dozen tins at the time, so it's possible the rest were sold to people who didn't know the difference. I got one bad tin each from two other places, neither of whom had heard complaints from anyone but me.

I've not had any issues with their bulk.

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This happens from time to time with blenders. I currently have a tin of SG FVF that I'm pretty sure is Commonwealth and a (second) tin of SG St James Flake that is missing the perique. I've heard similar stories on occasion of this happening with other blenders. Someone put the wrong tobacco in the tin.

16. telltime

telltime Active Member

I've always gotten mine in bulk... and I love the stuff (and you may remember that I have a strong aversion to Latakia!! - so there is DEFINITELY no latakia in HV). My guess is you got something mislabeled.

17. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I can't believe these blenders would be that careless. I'd call them and make them send a new tin. Tobac is not cheap enough to throw away money on. Go get em!:hbang:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.