Is it true ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Is it true that SG blends dont use American tobacco ? I'd heard that GH&co use American but SG dosent ...

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Reputable source? I'd imagine FVF is ALL American.........maybe a little bit of somewhere too maybe.

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. ruffinogold

I think I read it in an old issuse of P&T ... have to dig it up ...I also remember someone talking about it because the two co's were one at one time and they split and one uses other than American stuff but I'm not sure which

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

So Ruff......you plannin' a boycott?
    "SG is un-American....Ban the Barstids!" LOL

5. ruffinogold

LOL ... nah , just wonderin . I hear ya though ... They dont like American ... F em ... lol

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Nut'in wrong with English weed not using American weed. If I buy English I don't expect American. :whistle:

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

okay, i'm going to interject my bull**** summary here

A) they both manifestly have to use american tobacco as they both have perique blends, which is only made in St James parish loosey anus.

:whistle: Samuel Gawith is the original company, G&H was started by a second son in the mid 1800s if memory serves (and the old dude relaying the info was correct) which is half owned by germans. the son took a lot of the recipes with them, which is why they have nearly identical blends to the older SG blends, but they also have a lot more "american" blends (really american THEMED) because the german half of the company thought they would sell. which they do. very effing well. SG has basically maintained its original lineup and added very little, mainly in the kendall/lakeland category and some very english style balkan/turkish, as well as its famous straight VAs.

C) as with the other kendall blending houses a large proportion of their tobacco is actually african, their virginias are from zimbabwe, american cultivars but they have a different flavor due to the growing conditions. BBF/bobs brown, MVF, FVF and the derived blends (bracken, ennerdale, DFS, 1792 etc) are all produced from these tobaccos, as are a vast majority of british and a lesser proportion of european tobaccos. its simply a matter of cost to them, and a lot of the american tobaccos grown IN america go towards cigar and cigarette production so the market here slants more towards growing acceptable cigar and cigarette tobaccos. obviously their perique is american and i'd be surprised if they didn't have other tobaccos from here, but they certainly have no
    "anti american" policy. even a lot of the tobacco used in american pipe tobacco, sold in the US, and tailored to american tastes is grown in india, africa and south america.

this is all what i've heard from various "old boys" as gerry is wont to call them, and I could be totally wrong but it sounds reasonable to me and makes sense given what i've read on their tins and websites.

8. ruffinogold

O.K. so basicly they dont use American tobacco . Tobacco came from around here so I understand that if it's grown somwhere else it's a seed from here to there .... cool ... I never though they were anti American or anything just they dont buy are tobacco was my point I guess. ... well .... F em anyway ...just kidding

9. Puff The Magic

Mmmmmmmmmmmkay then, Dub, can you repeat that in english this time...... :icq_online: Great read, but exactly my thoughts as well. If it has Perique, it's US toby. But I hope that they continue doing what they do best. There are totally US grown, cured, and processed here in US, a superb one and one that got turned me into a Va-aholic is McCranie's. Nothin' bettah than McCr in a cob! Well, there are "others" like some of the McCl's and C&D's but selection is important if you are looking for strictly US grown, etc, etc, etc.

I look at it this way, I'm gonna smoke the best I can buy regardless where it came from (camel's ass or full labrador flake, sort of gives new meaning to brown rope don't it :jump: ) anyway, I feel the piper brethren knows no borders. Sure, we all buy what we want to smoke and covet what the other is smoking (at times). With the world as the growing field, these wizards can select the leaf that shows the best promise to meet or exceed the original recipe requirements. From year to year, although staying within certain characteristic boundaries, some years seem to be better than others. Good example: Christmas Cheer. US grown, cured, processed.........some years seem or are better to many, and some pipers can't tell. I'm glad there are tobaccos that have ingredients from countries I've never set foot in nor are planning to in the near future. I at least have the opportunity to taste and smoke some non-US treasures.

Here Here! Fire up a great one for the Dub! Or was that Fire up a Dub for the Great One? :w00t:

:woohoo:
    Ed Puff
    cogito ergo pun

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Well now!

70% of cars and car parts sold in American are manufactured overseas.

40% of the Beef, and Beef products, ei., leather, is imported.

If you call AT&T for assistance you get someone in India!

I was in San Diego awhile back when a new destroyer was returning after it's first cruise. Where was the ship built? Taiwan! :jump:

Matter-of-fact most of what we use comes from somewhere else, so it's no surprise that most of the tobacco we consume is grown in South America and Africa.

Marijuana gonna be legal soon though...... :woohoo:

Strange little space ship we're riding! No? :icq_online:

Will

11. ruffinogold

Yes it is Will ! Just so you guys know... I'm cool w/ it . MB has products that a single blend has tobacco from five continents or so ...etc. Pipe smoking is so varied because its not a singular source like say the carribian basin or just one area .I'm just sayin that , other than perique I guess , theres no American tobacco in SG blends . I'm curious on how many paragraphs will be written in reaction to the original question . :w00t:

12. Puff The Magic

Isn't Walnut supposed to be the 7 best from 7 lands? Or sort of.....?

:icq_online:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. ruffinogold

Bingo ! And MB cube is like that an others as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.