1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

is my cob getting darker

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rphillips, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rphillips

rphillips Member

Nov 29, 2010
    First of all, its not a new discovery but still awes me that not all my tobaccos smoke well in my briar pipe, some smoke fine in one but not so good in another, but all my tobaccos smoke great in any cob I put it in. Its just great.

But for my real point now, I was looking at my cobs sitting on there shelf and noticed that one looks darker than I remember it being when I got it. Its a legend cob and unlike my other 2 legends, that are a light yellow color, this one is a good bit darker.Im not complaining as I like the look of it, but is it just my mind playing tricks or do cobs darken and color like meerschum. I wipe them all with a moist cloth to remove dirt from time to time so I dont think its just dirt left from my grubby hands. If they do color like meerschum then I think Ill be smoking them a little more often.
  2. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I have a legend that is darkening as well, I think it happens from the inside out, and also from your hands.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm not a cob expert, but I've experienced the same thing. My Diplomat has colored a little and is now a little darker than when new. My Country Gentleman is much newer, but it has gone from golden yellow to yellow with carmel splotches. I love the way they look.
  4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Aug 13, 2010
    All my cobs are getting darker with age.
  5. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Sep 15, 2010
    There is a reason they call it Missouri 'Meerschaum'. Hopefully I will see some color in mine soon.
  6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    I found these old one's online.

Personally, I don't think they age well ... or at least after many yrs down the line. Mine have so far, turned into a uniform straw yellow. They are looking better than when new, but by the looks of these much older cobs, it looks as though the uniformity ends and the darkening becomes much more irregular.
  7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Must say I have a liking for "Battered Old Warriors" and I do like the look of the old soldiers Pecci found - "pipes of character."

As we all know the colour of cobs can vary a bit when they are new from yellow to golden to quite pale. My legends are not all aging the same. Some have gone paler with the odd dark cell, one has gone a darker gold again with the odd dark brown cell and my Diplomats have gone darker in the middle generally. All get polished with furniture polish from time to time to stop them getting too ratty looking but I don't think that's affected the colour.

My oldest cob, a 1940s reed stem gifted to me by a dear friend, resmembles the one in the picture posted but that's not just due to me smoking it. I think cobs then were of a different strain and may have been finished differently but I don't know that and would welcome input from an expert.

Looking forward to learning more about this topic,

8. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

Jan 29, 2011
    My Country Gentleman is getting much darker also. I plan on getting Great Dane Egg and a Diplomat.Ill have all 3 in my rotation.....I really do enjoy my cobs, and the aging/darkening gives them character.. :bow:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.