1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my Peterson ruined? (Newbie help)

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by brunchman, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hi guys,

Im new here and need some help with my pipe. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a Peterson standard system a few weeks back, bent p-lip stem, pre-carbonized bowl.
    I also bought a tin of Peterson Luxuary blend which i was excited about, and not knowing about how moisted blends are straight out of the tin i packed that mother tight and smoked the hell out of it nbg

So i learnt my lesson. The experience was hot, bitter smoke with massess of tounge bite and a pipe begging for relights every 8-10 seconds. Dissappointed i emptied out the bowl early with dottle to find lots of wet mess at the bottom of the bowl, perhaps savlia i dont know. Anyway ever since my Peterson has smelt like an ashtray, unpleasant to say the least. Iv tried a few other blends with a better smoking technique but not getting alot of flavour and generally bitterness dominates.

Im hoping to find a solution to save this pipe whilst i smoke my idoit proof corn cob, i was thnking of just rejuvinating the entire pipe by cleaning it with scotch. Theres a very slight cake but barely there.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Brunchman

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Dag... I suggest:

* load that Pete maybe 1/3 to 1/2 filled until you get the hang of it
    * fill or tamp it so the resistance to a draw is like sipping on a small straw
    * puff smartly and light across the entire top of the tobacco (without burning up the pipe rim)
    * as soon as it goes out (which it almost always does), tamp to compress lightly and relight. You are good to go for a while.
    * if it all goes to crap, dump, refill, relight and have another go. There is a learning curve in this sport.
    * pinch the tobacco before filling:
    -----if it wads up and stays wadded it's maybe to damp - let a wad air out for 30-minutes
    -----if it squishes and springs back it's probably just right to smoke - fill and light
    -----if it crumbles to dust it's too dry - rehydrating tobacco is something for another time

3. Mister Moo

Oh yeah - welcome to PSF.

4. Iain

Iain Active Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't worry too much, follow Mister Moos instructions above, I can't put it any better.
    If the bottom of your bowl does get soggy after a smoke, let it rest a while to dry out before your next smoke.
    The bitterness could be down to it being new, my pete took a little while to break in, it's down to the carbon coat.
    As for cake, it'll form eventually from smoking, there isn't really anything you can do to force it.

5. Professor

Professor Active Member

Yeah - follow Moo's (for once he is right...:xd:) and Iain's advice!

Smoke your corn cob for pleasure and try the Peterson again from time
    to time - until it works out. :)

Yes, and a warm Welcome to PSF from Sweden!

zack likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Welcome to PSF! You might also keep in mind as you are smoking a pipe the heat from the coal is what evaporates the moisture as you smoke, keeping the smoke cool and dry, if you are smoking too hot and fast, you are producing more moisture than be evaporated as you smoke causing the wet mess at the bottom of your bowl, smoke slowly, relight as necessary using a soft flame and slow draw, don't huff and puff and heat things up! Take it slow and easy...

whitebriar likes this.
  7. Capt

Capt Active Member

Great advice Moo.

8. brunchman

brunchman Member

Thanks for the response guys, any thoughts on the scotch idea? Some people think a soaked pipe cleaner can help.

9. Mister Moo

Note alcohol strips pipe finish in a nano-tidbit-second; also note that 100-proof booze is still 50% water. Treating bowls and cleaning stems with booze will remove oils, tar, some stink etc.; it's a recommended practice in one form or another. I prefer Everclear 190-proof because it introduces less water to the wood and thus dries out faster. Booze is great on a bristle pipecleaners, too, for cleaning out stems. Just keep it off finished wood.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  10. brunchman

brunchman Member

Cheers Moo, i dont mind waiting a day or so for the scotch to dry. Im gunna use a pipe cleaner soaked in Johnnie Walker for the stem, and mabey some tissue soaked and scrub the bowel?

11. brunchman

brunchman Member

Just got back in from smoking my corn cob for the first time, completely different. Minimal bitterness and no toung bite which was great. Also stayed lit and generally all good!

One thing still remains tho, a lack of flavour. The smoke just seemed bland, like warm air, nothing really exciting about the luxary blend. Is there something wrong or do i just need a stronger blend?

I smoked for 15 mins so am gunna try the DGT and leave the pipe packed for a relight tommorow.

12. Mister Moo

Bowel scrubbing is a different forum. :D

A looped pipecleaner dipped in booze works well for cleaning a pipe bowl.

Dondi and Old Ted like this.
  13. andrew

andrew Member

Tissue will leave lots of tissue in the bowl, especially if the bowl is precoated

14. andrew

andrew Member

Stick with the pipe cleaners

15. brunchman

brunchman Member

Cheers andrew, yeh i think im gunna stick to a bent pipe cleaner for the bowl. Im also thinking of brandy instead of scotch, may add some nice flavour.

16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The pipe's totally ruined. Send it to me 'cause I like ashy, bitter Petersons, so Ill take it off your hands.
    No need to thank me
    :whis:

17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

This is advice that should be on the Home Page. It can't be explained any better! I would only add, (my wife says I always add something) to our cigar smoking friends that the draw should not be tighter than a quality cigar. Thanks Mr Moo!

Paul

whitebriar likes this.
  18. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

EDIT: sorry didn't do my homework--was gonna comment on using a ribbon cut; then looked and saw what he used was a ribbon cut--next time i'll check it out--yeah sure.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.