1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the burley used in pipe tobacco the same burley used in cigarette tobacco? Is there a difference

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    check out RTP--Reconstituted Tobacco Product. It used to be tobacco, but after the cutting and shredding and processing it turns to dust. The dust is then treated with the chemicals to enhance the nicotine in a solution of water. It is dried and compressed into sheets. Then it is cut into ribbons resembling cut tobacco and put into a cigarette. Sounds yummy. Sounds like cheese in a spray can, ok it is cheese (sort of) but not in the strictest sense. Better cigarettes will contain more real tobacco--but not 100%. Lesser cigs will have more RTP.

I'm thinking that pipe tobacco does not go through this metamorphosis.

With the cigarette tax that is so high, the manufacturers are probably forced to sweep the floors and make the RTP a larger percentage of their product to make the cigarette more affordable and meanwhile make them more addictive and unhealthful in the process, discounting the desired effect of higher taxes of the cigarette to discourage the act of smoking them in the first place.

This is an example of the unintended consequence of a well meaning law. But let's not shine too much light on that subject as it might upset those who desire to think for their fellow man.
  2. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Me too....15 years
    Rodfather, Robin, 5H4N3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    That sounds very high. Last I saw them, they were about $12/pack when regular cigs were about $4/pack. But at that price, forget what I said. :beck:
  4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    So when does tobacco whiz hit the shelves?, You can just take a squirt on a cracker and be good to go.
    I hear that M-79 is the first flavor.
    Jay and Robin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.