Is there a black cherry that ACTUALLY tastes like it smells ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Lee Dobson, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Dobson

Lee Dobson Member

Hi fellas, can anyone suggest the definitive sweet black forest gateau tasting baccy on earth ?

I read good things about Gawith and Hoggarths Top black cherry....

I leave it in your knowledgeable hands my darlings

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Paladin... but it stinks, and it does taste like it smells - like cherry tainted azz.

3. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

The answer to your question is "yes"........ But they are located in the produce aisle of your local grocery store.............

MacNutz likes this.
  4. Lee Dobson

Lee Dobson Member

I seem to suspect you're not fans ;)

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

There was a huge old black cherry tree in my childhood neighbour's back yard. It hosted thousands of drunken birds every fall. Those little cherries were the only thing I've ever had that actually tasted like black cherries.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't really care for Cherry flavored tobaccos, except for Middleton Cherry Blend (MCB). I've heard it once described as tasting sort of like cherry cough syrup, but I'm one of those sick puppies that likes the taste of cherry cough syrup. MCB has been around forever cuz it's good. The room note is very nice, and the cherry flavor is pretty subtle. Good stuff, but I wouldn't say that it tastes like black cherries - it's more of a cherry-like flavor.

Rickpal14 likes this.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Edwards sells a cherry blend that is pretty awesome. It is my favorite cherry blend to date.

8. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I prefer pipe tobacco. :csmile:

9. Morse

Morse Active Member

Ignore these reprobates - GH Top Black Cherry is as close to a smokable cherry aromatic as I have found. Middleton's cherry ( I think you're across the pond so this is probably not readily available anyhow) is VERY subtle - to the point where I question it's commitment ;)

10. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I just checked my Middletons Cherry. Pouch note does not scream 'Cherry'. Just smells like tobacco. You do get a decent cherry flavor when smoking it but it's very mild. This stuff is for when you want to taste tobac in your cherry aromatic.

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I'd agree with this statement whole heatedly, it's my go to cherry blend and has been for years.

Brian Stephen and Morse like this.
  12. Lee Dobson

Lee Dobson Member

I'll have to give the GH a shot then.... there's too many baccy's and not enough years left in my life to try them all

KingsTarantula, Morse and Lukasaurus like this.
  13. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

When I took up the pipe again last year after a couple years away, I bought a tub of Paladin. Yep. They sold one tub last year and I'm the nut who bought it!

Middleton's has a nice cherry aroma, but little to no taste. My wife likes the aroma though. I like the taste of CAO's Cherrybomb. However, I haven't bought more than two tins of it and it isn't currently in my rotation. MB's Cherry Ambrosia has a little cherry taste and aroma. However, not much more than Middleton's. I'm still looking.

Brian Stephen likes this.
  14. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Doin' Wrong right, you bethcha. D'ya think ol' John's proud? FWIW it's always seemed to me that pride plays a particularly central role in his theology, irrespective of which side of the elect one finds oneself. :rolleyes:

Lee I haven't smoked a cherry blend that agreed with me in the least, but I do enjoy a bowl of fresh cherries along with a pipeful from time to time. :th1:

[​IMG]

Life is just a bowl of cherries;
    Don't make it serious;
    Life's too mysterious.
    You work, you save, you worry so,
    But you can't take your dough when you go.
    So keep repeating it's the berries;
    The strongest oak must fall.
    The sweet things in life
    To you were just loaned,
    So how can you lose what you've never owned?
    Life is just a bowl of cherries,
    So live and laugh at it all.
    :whis: :whis: :whis:

Welcome to PSF Lee! :puffy:

15. mugwump

mugwump Member

SG Celtic Talisman is a nice cherry blend although more along the lines of a tart cherry. It will ghost the heck out of a pipe though and the admittedly nice aroma will linger in the room for days.

16. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I'm a fan of McClelland's Three Cherry. Tastes and smells just like meraschino cherries. Top Black Cherry is good to but it smells and tastes like Red Vine licorice.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  17. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Don't tell me that, that's what I think Velvet smells and tastes like!

18. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

Not much of a fan of Cherry and there are a lot of cherry tobaccos out there. But I, like jhguthlac, have CAO Cherry bomb as well. I like it. It's not black cherry but it does smell like cherry flavoring when smoking. Very small hints of cherry if at all. It is pleasant though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.