Is there any good bagged pipe tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Smokey Tom, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I was at a Racetrack gas station yesterday and I noticed it has a very large tobacco section. There is a section of poly bags hanging up that all say "pipe tobacco". Now I know alot of the RYO cigarette tobacco rebranded itself as "pipe tobacco" to avoid the tax hike, but are there any legit pipe tobacco brands? I want to make a list and compare to their selection. I figured its easier to ask this than to write out their entire selection and ask if any of it is good lol.

Thanks!

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Smokers Pride is one.:)

Largo is NOT:eek:

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I've heard tell that Smoker's Pride black cavendish is pretty good. I've not tried it yet, but I might throw some in an order one of these days. If I don't like it, I can always trade it off to the Mayor.

bubbagump and Thuber88 like this.
  4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Smoker's Pride, check
    Largo, NO check

ruffinogold and Thuber88 like this.
  5. Thuber88

I would venture a guess that many bulks at a chain stores, are less likely to be a disguised RYO that is so prevalent at local tobacco shops.
    If they have RYO machines and glassware, its usually a bad indicator for decent pipe tobacco around here

6. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

No there's no machines or glassware. There's about a 10 foot section of wall with these bags of "pipe" tobacco hanging up. I figured maybe there's some gold in all the chaff.

Thuber88 likes this.
  7. Thuber88

Wiser Sage's of knowledge and light will be along soon..

8. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Smokers Pride Black Cavendish is good. SP Vanilla Cavendish is good, but less damp/goopy than BC.

9. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

The two most well known are Smoker's Pride, and Super Value.

Be aware, that Smoker's Pride does sell three blends that look like they are meant to be RYO: 60z bags labeled Rich Taste, Mellow Taste, and Menthol Taste. The actual pipe tobacco is in 12oz bags.

I have a bag of Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish, and find it quite enjoyable. The cherry is not a candy cherry though, more like a cough drop cherry. Not unpleasant though.

10. Thuber88

I will be adding the BC most likely in the future, will have to try that, and the CC as well to land on some daily smokers.

11. Robin

Robin Member

I've smoked Red Cap tobacco, it's very cheap here at $1.00 a pouch, I think it comes in the big bags too. It may be RYO tobacco, but it smokes OK in a MM cob pipe. Pipe & Cigar shows it in stock at $20.00 a pound, doesn't get much cheaper than that!

12. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I second Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish. Not unpleasant at all to me, and I think they sell it in the 12 oz bags.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I can only think of 4 brands in bags ... Smokers pride [ I enjoy the BC , Cherry and Whiskey ] , Super Value [ which I have not had ] , Admirals Choice [ I've had their cherry and liked it ] and the Blenders Gold brand that Walgreens has [ I haven't tried them ] . All the other ones I've seen are those lame a** cigarette tobaccos . Red Cap makes a great Cigarette .. I mean a really damn great cigarette . I tried the Red Cap in a pipe also and it was .. Meh .. not as good as the cigarette was . That Red cap was my kind of smoke ... now I'm thinking about it :eek: . Seriously , if you smoke cigarettes ,, roll up some Red Cap regular ... it actually has a good flavor . I was doing a job in the Ozarks and stopped to get a coke at a gas station on my way to Branson Missouri and saw the Red Cap and bought a couple pouches .. all the guys that were working that job wanted me to roll them one .. and then another .. lol . I bet I bought 2 pouches per day there . I liked the people in Arkansas , they were good folk :th1:

BriarRabbit and Thuber88 like this.
  14. ted

ted Member

15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I just ordered a bag of Super Value Amaretto Cavendish from Pipes & Cigars. I have read good things about it, but will have to report back once I get my order in.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:xd:

17. Thuber88

I wonder where he has heard that kind of expansive eloquence before?:rolleyes:

ruffinogold and ted like this.
  18. ted

ted Member

NO
    Several tries at Smokers Pride, Admirals Choice, Super Value, and Blenders Gold...
    PG's are not what I want to smoke..

CH, PA, SB, Black Cav (probably some PG's in all these but) I'll get along... 47 years with a pipe... ted

Smokey Tom, ruffinogold and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.