1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there something similar to....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

Penzance? :dh1: I scored a tin of it and its mostly gone. LOVE IT, cant find it. Ive read that C&D Star Of The East flake is a similar substitute...but is it? is there one? i know nothing will be the same, but that crumble flake style and approximate flavor... and available?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ten to Midnight is an approximation...pressed too.

3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

There isn't an equal.

OBD.

p.s. I cellared 5 quarts of Penzance 22 months ago. I checked it a couple of days ago and its color is almost black! I know this doesn't help but I just had to tell someone.

BradNTX likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

4noggins has a tin from 1999: http://www.4noggins.com/EsotericaPenzance50g-C.aspx

That's pretty much the only eTailer I've seen with any. Sometimes if you call them, they will tell you about bulk or tins they just got in or have in the back not listed. I've lucked out a couple of times that way including my last bag of Stonehaven.

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Personally, I like Star of the East Flake better than Penzance. But it is a little different--less refined, less sweet, a little sweaty bum stink tossed in with the Orientals. The even-harder-to-find-than-Penzance Krumble Kake from Smoker's Haven is also often mentioned as a substitute.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

You know, I cannot think of any tobacco that compares to penzance at the moment...

7. yinyang

A wise choice telling us...I hate to tell you, but that's black mold! Your seal's failed, OBD. If you can't bear to throw it out, let me know...I'll do what I must to dispose of it...(I believe the only way to stop mold growth is to incinerate it...) ;)

(Gotta love the 'bad tobacco, give it to me' ploy...and one of these days, it's gonna pay off...I just know it!!!) :ohyh:

Disregard the second paragraph, OBD...wasn't pertinent to the discussion...:)

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

My mouth starts to water every time I think of those jars!

yinyang likes this.
  9. yinyang

I don't like you very much right now...:)

Dude...Englishes have a shelf life...might be time to start burning it up! I'm thinking of your enjoyment and benefit, of course...

10. Ol Brokedik

If I don't smoke it I'll eat it with a spoon.

11. yinyang

Eeew. :)

You gots a Youtube account? ;) Eating that much Penzance would be worth watchin'....

Puff The Magic likes this.
  12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Much as I hate to agree with Yin, Ten to Midnight is pretty much an acceptable substitute. There's lots in the general field, but Ten to is the only one that's really available, and close in spirit.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Wasn't 10 to Midnight blended to be "similar" to that highly coveted / sought after British Isles toby (that's only imported to USA, why is that???)

A tin of aged Penz went on the bay for ~$22+shipping. Not too bad I guess.

All of my jar'd is real dark/blackish with loads of white dust streaks, yummo! :D

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.