Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TampaPete, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TampaPete

TampaPete Member

Is there such a thing as a blend that's mostly (or only) Virginia and Oriental? I like Oriental-heavy light English blends such as Old Dublin and PS English Oriental Supreme, but I'd like to try one without as much Latakia for comparison.

Any suggestions?

-Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

McClelland's Grand Oriental series uses (for the most part) only Virginia and Orientals, plus each one features a different Oriental tobacco, which makes for an educational, as well as enjoyable smoke. I've tried only two so far, but I plan on making the rounds in due time. Though tobaccoreviews notes some things like Maryland in some of the blends, none that I'm aware of incorporate Latakia, so they might just be the thing for you.

Of course Squadron Leader is fairly light on the Latakia and has a relatively big Oriental presence, if you still want to stay within the realm of English mixtures.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Pease Cairo is a Virginia Oriental blend with no Latakia. Very good smoke, IMHO.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

McConnell's Oriental has Va & oriental with no Lat. It is one of my favorites.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

RRR is another with VAs and Orientals. No lat.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

McClelland's Arcadia is the very finest example of this kind of blend that I can think of, with Samsun coming in second.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I kinda forgot about their 221B series. I tried Black Shag back when they were coming out with them, but never followed through with Arcadia (or Honeydew, for that matter). Maybe next time I'm at my B&M I'll give it a shot.

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

If you regret said purchase, I'll gladly smoke it for you. :)

9. Buck1

Buck1 Member

This. /\ /\ /\
    I bought a tin of Arcadia early on in my pipe journey, and now realize what's in it that I like.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

And I'd be happy to oblige, Andy.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ferndown Yellow & Brown, buddy. /thread :bing:

HCraven likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Did that stuff ever grow on your HCraven? Maybe I'm the only one who likes it :p

It's a bit mild for me at the moment, but if I could smoke inside I'd sure be tempted to fire up a bowl. Once I worked through my Presbyterian Mixture, anyway. Which, to the OP, is a simply WONDERFUL example of a blend made from strictly Virginia and Orientals, with no noticible latakia in it. Keep in mind, of course, that it still has a rich, earthy, leathery taste because the orientals used happen to have that flavor profile. It's like latakia minus the campfire smoke.

Which raises a question for me...latakia is, after all, an Oriental tobacco simply flavored with smoke. Does anybody know what variety of tobacco is used to produce latakia? Or are there multiple types of Orientals which happen to be grown in Syria and Cyprus which are frequently treated to make latakia? I ask because some VATurk blends have a particularly "English" character to them, while some have a distinctly different flavor all together.

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Yes, and I still enjoy a bowl from time to time. Not an everyday thing, but great as a once in a while change up.

14. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

that does sound good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.