1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

It's 1888........

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user0003, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried any of the Villager 1888 weeds?

They had a display with open tins of each at my local B&M and I choose Early Day. Which is very close to EMP to me.

Just wonder what you guys think about any of the 1888 series.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

A tin of each, sealed. Haven't tried any yet but it's Stokkebye though so it can't be bad can it? I mean, maybe not to everyone's taste but I'm sure that one or two of the 3 would strike most pipers fancy. What did you think of the sample? Was it close or as satisfying as EMP?

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. user0003

I find that I reach for the tin several times a day. So far it is a very well behaved weed and I really Like the flavor. I will be trying the other blends as well.

Satisfying? Very subjective question.....It seems so to me.

4. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Received two tins of Villiger 1888 today in my order, Late-night & mid-day not tried them yet, but the tins look good.I like there cigars.
    Badcompany.

5. user0003

Cool.... I'd like to know what you think.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

1888...that was a good year. I was just a kid.......oh wait....we're talking baccy here!

Never mind!

7. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I picked up a tin of the "Early Day" and really like it. I have not tried EMP before, but assumed that this was a duplicate.

Bob

8. user0003

SFIFTL..... :whistle:
    :velho:

9. mpchem

mpchem Member

I recently bought a can of all three. The Late Night was a bit too harsh for me, but then again, so was Escudo and now I like it, so I'll give LN another shot. Mid Day is pretty tasty IMO--good if you're into aros. Haven't tried the Early Day yet, but smells great in the tin.

10. Stoked

Stoked Member

I just picked up a tin of 1888 MD at my local tobacconist. It came highly recommended as he told me he sells a lot of this and I've come to trust his opinion. In the tin it smells like oatmeal cookies and Amaretto liqueur. It's a vanilla and exotic fruits aro, and it really does smelly yummy both in the tin and room note.

It's a flavorful smoke, very sweet, and it burns a bit hot. Yet it's approachable; you don't have to work at it, searching for some elusive flavor. It's always present, albeit somewhat monolithic. The fruit keeps things tangy and interesting while the vanilla adds depth. There's some tobacco flavor present from the burley, and the orientals add a bit of spice, more noticeable in the bottom third. Overall this is a well balanced, fairly smooth, enjoyable aromatic with lots of flavor.

I'm not sure I love this but we've only been on a few dates so far.

11. Stoked

Stoked Member

OK, I've smoked enough of the Villiger 1888 Mid Day to decide. This blend, smoked by itself, gets on my nerves! It's too damned sweet to the point of being overpowering.

I've had some success blending it with McB London Burley, but I won't be buying another tin of this "candy tobacco" again.

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us, Stoked! This one doesn't sound like my speed either. Nice to know I can cross it off the list.

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

This really is the great thing about forums - you get info from a variety of people and it does cut down the chances of serious mistakes - of which I made very many when I was young and experimenting with tobaccos back in the Stone Age!

Thanks again

Gerry

14. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Sweet aromatics and I will never get along, not even at gunpoint. Thanks for the tip Stoked.

15. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Tried the Early Day the other day but messed up and chose a pipe that I had last smoked an aro from so I really couldn't tell. The smell from the tin reminds me of Balkan Sasieni and this smokes pretty cool but I have to try it again in an unghosted pipe. Seems promising though. I will post a review as soon as I have another chance to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.