1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

It's A Small World After All (My Favorite Pipe Story)

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

True Story...

My Uncle John, a lifelong pipe smoker, was vacationing in Disney World with his wife and youngest daughter. This was sometime in the 1970s. Anyhow, they were in one of the indoor theatres, watching the "Tiki Birds" show. As they sat and watched the show, my Uncle's pipe must have fell out of his pocket unbeknownst to him. After the show they left the theater and stepped back into the steamy Florida sunshine. As they were walking away, they suddenly heard someone saying, "Johnny, hey, Johnny!" My Uncle and his family stopped but thought how could someone be calling his name. They were from Connecticut, after all.

But lo and behold, my Uncle suddenly saw someone coming toward him with his pipe in hand! It turned out it was one of his next door neighbors! Neither one knew the other one was even in Florida on vacation. The neighbor and his wife had been exiting the show and saw a pipe on a seat, and they said, "That's Johnny's pipe."And thus they grabbed it and headed out looking for their neighbor, my beloved Uncle. And that's how he got his pipe returned to him at Disney World!

What are the odds of that????

Don

2. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Nice story thanks for sharing,Don.

3. The Dane

The Dane Member

I love these pipe-stories

MDaws79 likes this.
  4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Good story! Your uncle must've smoked that pipe all the time for his neighbor to recognize it.

MDaws79 likes this.
  5. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Indeed. I only ever remember my Uncle smoking a straight stem pipe that was in the basic shape of a Westbrook, but it was sandblasted and black. I never saw him with a fancy pipe or even a bent stemmed one.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Great story!

I remember being in 8th grade in the mid 70's and there was an actual tobacco shop on Main St USA!! It was also there in 1983! I remeber buying a pipe book there. AND I remember seeing this really beautiful pipe on the shelf fo $85. I couldnt believe that they charged so much for a pipe!!! Now......what was it's name......um........ Dunhill....Yeah that's it!
    What did I know in 1983?????

rondel65 likes this.
  7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

LOL, we must be about the same age or close to it. I was born in 1965. I remember when I was in high school in the early 1980s, the local department store, Caldor, had a whole shelf of pipe tobacco tins like Prince Albert, Holiday, Granger, Carter Hall, many others I can't recall.

MakDragon likes this.
  8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

What are the odds? I'm thinking about like getting struck by lightning.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

That's about the % I was thinking as well

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Somehow I don't think it was chance. Your uncle was supposed to have that pipe. Sometimes it is that way. Around the time I got married, my wife & I were sitting in a newly renovated area on the lower Hudson river in NYC. I had a Leica M6 camera in a little black bag on the bench next to me. At the time an M6 with lens cost about $2700. From there we went to a restaurant about 3/4 of a mile away. As we were leaving, I noticed the Leica was missing. We rushed back to the park bench on the waterfront just in case the camera had not yet been stolen. A police officer on a bicycle was just pedaling off with it. I stopped him. He returned it, saying it had just been turned in to him by someone who found the bag. The odds of us getting there at just that moment were slim. I still have that Leica, and it still works.

Old Codger likes this.
  11. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.