1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Its been a trip, but its been worth while.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Khalifa247, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalifa247

Khalifa247 Member

Hey guys, Its been a while since my last "Tell me what to try" thread and I think I have experimented a good bit since then. Either way this thread will be a good way to give you guys an idea of what I have enjoyed and maybe we can now narrow it down some more. Let me start off by saying I haven't tried anything with latakia in it (I can't find any locally) so I am not too sure whether or not I like it. I have tried and liked OGS, Escudo, Mac Barens London Blend, and Peterson Irish Flake (on occasion this one is a heavy hitter). There was a lot of tobaccos that I didn't like that were great if you liked burning tire.. or tongue bite, but we wont focus on these ones. Anyway its become very clear to me that I like Va/per, Va, and Burley tobaccos, it has also become quite clear that I only like light or.. classy aromatics. So given what I like I was hoping I might be able to fish for some more ideas on what to try, last time around my only comparisons were OTC this time around I am more specific, either way thank you all for the help and thank you in advance for future help.
    Khalifa

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Time for some Squadron Leader, sir. Definitely time for some Squadron Leader. Unfortunately, it's hard to find right now. That leaves "Intro. to Latakia 101" up to Frog Morton.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Glad you're finding tobys you like. More along the similar vein of "what you like" is:

Reiner Long Golden Flake

Solani Silver Flake

Hearth & Home Rolando's Own

Rattrays Hal O'The Wynd

Rattrays Marlin Flake

McClelland's Christmas Cheer (any, some years better)

Dunhill Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Dan Hamborger Veermaster

I do suggest you do give latakia tobaks a serious try. What got me "into" them was Gawith & Hogarth's Bob's Chocolate. Just enough to be noticable and say "hey, this is different and real good"! No campfires, no burnt tires, just enough of the lat-complexity to contribute and not overwhelm or take center stage at any one time. From then, I went onto a Syrian latakia kick and tried nearly all of the McClelland's Grand Orientals and Syrian containing tobak.

Another direction that's somewhat in the latakia direction but the flavors are more similar to the pleasing flavors you get from Va's & Burleys is Orientals. Cornell & Diehl has a wonderful oriental in bulk (not tinned as yet) #414 "Oriental Silk". Wonderfully smooth, lots-o-flavor, not bad on the nic-hit (but no weakling), just a pleasant tobak all the way around. Orientals (without latakias) are very similar to va blends but different. A different sort of "sweet" if that makes sense. Definitely not as high of a nic-hitter as most va's or va-blends.

But like Mr Mooster said, It's Squadron Leader time! Get some! :)

First bowl of SL for me was sort of ho-hum, I could tell there were a bunch of flavors in there but it wasn't until the following bowls that the flavors and aromas came out noticably. I find the more I smoke SL, the more I like it. My youngest daughter (18) was with me the other morning while I was smoking some SL and she stated, "That smells nice, what are you smoking?"..............told her it was Squadron Leader by Sammy Gawith, a great smoke! Roomnote grows on ya!

Rock On as you continue to carve your way through the maze of 4000+ tobys!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah man , the spilman is an "American" English blend . Nice . It's very much like IRC Private blend which I enjoy also . I'm a big fan of http://wvsmokeshop.com/ .... they have 1 oz samples of many blends for $ 1.79 ... one being PS Lux English which is worth a try and is typical of English blends . They also have PS Bullseye in 1 oz as well . If yer diggin the VAPer's .... and havent tried it yet ... You might love it

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not much for me to add after all these great suggestions, but maybe this-Erinmore Flake. A light(er) VA with a twist...essentially an aromatic without the usual negative crud that gets associated with that term. It's an old school tinned tobacco, fairly priced.

That said, Latakia (and Orientals) should be on your try list next, for sure.

7. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

+1 on the Erinmore Flake. I prefer the flake over the mixture - two totally different tobaccos to me.

Be warned, though - the Erinmore has ghosted my briars, so smoke in cobs or be prepared to dedicate a pipe to it. I really like Erinmore, so I just kept that briar for smoking it.

Erinmore Flake was my first flake toby, too. Good memories.....

8. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

After thinking about it for a minute, it would probably help if you listed the tobys that you didn't care for as well. I re-read your original post and saw some were like "burning tire" or really bit you. We are giving some advice to try latakia blends, but you already may have and we don't know which ones.

Silem's Black is a favorite "English aromatic" of mine -- awesome flavor and room note, with enough tasty orientals added for fullness. Merde de Cheval is also a wonderful "light English" that gets positive comments for room notes, but has a full tobacco flavor and the smokey hints of latakia. +10 on the Walnut sample from 4Noggins, too. I ordered that and one of Granger, as I could only find them for sale in the full tubs anywhere else. I wound up ordering a full tub of Walnut!

9. Khalifa247

Khalifa247 Member

First, thank you all for the suggestions thus far there is quite a bit of different blends that you have suggested and I'm sure I will end up trying all of them in time. As for the blends I did not like, it was just a couple of off brand blends that the cigar shop cooked up and decided to load off on me, I honestly wouldn't think it fair to base my impression on any tobacco off of them. Thank you all very much for the suggestions and all of the helpful information so far though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.