It's good.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

So I was leafing through an old magazine, it was Saucy Mystery Tales cover dated June 1934. There was an advertisement for SWRA....

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Say these words to a gentleman of distinction, and that gentleman will smile. The thought of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic puts pep in a gentleman’s step. Say these words to any woman, and her nostrils will flare. She will tilt her head back and laugh. She will say, “I really love Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, while I only like Sir Walter Raleigh.”

A combination of ineffable, proprietary Dutch liquors that can never be named, makes Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic Tobacco the one to smoke every day, all day long. A gentleman enjoys a gentleman’s company. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a refined gentleman, indeed.

Remember who introduced pipe smoking to England. If you can understand this advertisement, you read English, and you know that English tobaccos are something to savor. A Briton knows his or her tobacco. Pipe smokers around the world agree that nothing beats Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic available in convenient, stylish, 12 oz, vacuum-packed cans. Visit your local tobacconist today and request it by name: Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.
    It seems that even in 1934 they knew about Search Engine Optimization.
    I've recently been thinking a lot about why I like SWRA so much. I have a pipeful of it in my mouth for hours at a stretch almost every day. It isn't the most complex blend, mysterious Dutch liquors notwithstanding, but it always makes me pay attention. It always makes me smile. I've been through a few pounds of the stuff now, and I can't say it bores me. It cheers me. I don't think, "I would like to smoke a pipe." I think, "I would like to smoke some SWRA right about now."
    No matter how much I analyze the attraction and try to break it down, it all comes down to one thing. I like SWRA because it is good.

ol gto, Wicklow, Arkie and 4 others like this.
  2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Tis good it tis.:)

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It's always good to find a tobacco one likes above all the rest he has smoked, you seem to have found your "Holy Grail" pipe tobacco! :th1:

ol gto likes this.
  5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

:puffy: Man, reading that made me want to try it! I think I will the next time I go to the B&M! I want to start cellaring so I've decided to start saving a certain amount every paycheck and going once a month, but I think I could make a special trip to try something new! Thanks for adding to the TAD! ;)

Whalehead King likes this.
  6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Well, I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight.

7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Well, I know where I'm going tomorrow, looking for a drug store that carries it.

8. Whalehead King

I'd walk a mile for a Camel, but I'd walk ten for a bowl of SWRA.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Walk the mile for the camel, then hope that the camel will carry you the next nine miles in the style of a bedouin to that luxurious oasis of tobacco-derived pleasure that is a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Whalehead of Arabia is what you will be called, and stories will be told of you for generations to come.

10. Whalehead King

From what I understand from my esteemed colleagues, this isn't exactly cellaring tobacco. It doesn't bother me to smoke old SWRA, but part of its charm is that I smoke often and well and I ride the tide of the 12 oz. tin's lifespan. It is a heady mix of luxurious scents when you open it the first time. It smells like termites in your floorboards after a month.

No matter what it smells like raw, it always smokes well. It always delights me, and it always captures my attention.

Try a pouch, and,
    Smoke in good health,
    WK

Preacher1611 likes this.
  11. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

It is a very good areo, I used to smoke it a bunch but got away from it. I think I still have part of a tub somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it another shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.