its gotta be here somewhere...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by smokin artist, Aug 3, 2013.

?

do you prefer the b&m house blends or otc ?

1. otc

41.7%
  2. house blends

58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokin artist

smokin artist Member

OK so I've been to the local b&m. They have a good selection of pipery but they don't sell tins! I've look at some gas stations, but am I missing the place to find them? Just reading the forums people mention all these diff. Tobacco but I haven't found any. Any suggestions where to look besides the internet for these. I love some of the house blends that are offered but just wanna try some I don't access to.

Wisdom much appreciated.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

My poll answer would be neither... No judgement, just not my preference.

What is your hesitation with Internet purchasing just out of curiosity?

3. smokin artist

smokin artist Member

My favorite blends are Cape fear (burley based, mellow with a sweetness) and Olde Brunswick(burley and Virginia blend with a vanilla flavouring) both named for where I live. But I would also appreciate recommended OTC blends thanks !!!

4. smokin artist

smokin artist Member

Don't currently have the means to purchase online currently working with cancelling a bank account and oppeneing a new one and if I could find it local I'd rather do it that way and money is tight. I'd like to see the stuff in person and choose on the spot sorta thing

5. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I don't know where you are from, but in my section of the US, the only place to get tinned pipe tobacco is a specialty tobacco store/ tobacconist, or online. Tins tend to cost quite a bit more in Brick and Mortar stores ($12-$20) so it simply not something you are going to find outside of a specialty store.

In my travels, I haven't found any pipe tobacco at gas stations, nor do I expect too. Local pharmacies/ grocery stores/ party stores, usually have 1 or two of the more popular OTC blends line Price Albert, Captain Black, and Cater Hall, but beyond that don't have much of a selection.

If you are looking to shop locally, your only bet will be to find a tobacconist that actually specializes in pipes.

6. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I voted for house blends, but they vary tremendously, most b&m stores just slap their own name on a Lane or Stokkebye blend, some have them blended to their specs, while fewer still blend themselves. I love the blends I get from the Owl Shop in Worchester, MA, while the shop in the next town just does the re-label thing. OTCs on the other hand, are the same wherever you can get them, which isn't a bad thing if you find a brand you like.

7. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

I do 99% of my tobacco purchasing online. I read about it first here usually, then I read reviews of it at TobaccoReviews.com, then I order it online from whoever has the best deal (and usually pay about half what I'd pay at a B&M. I always ask them to send me a free sample of something that I'm curious about, and they usually do. If it wasn't for online purchasing, I'd probably still be ignorantly smoking my one overpriced house blend. You can also order by phone at all the online stores. In my humble opinion, online is the way to go.

smokin artist and MacNutz like this.
  8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I agree with Lucky Duck. I cut the price of smoking in half, and I really mean by more than fifty percent when I gave up on the local B&M stores. Local prices are nuts.

You should check out Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh. Cheap but solid well loved OTC tobaccos that should be relatively easy to find.

smokin artist and Lucky Duck like this.
  9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Smokingpipes (one of the biggest online retailers) is a short road trip away from you north of Myrtle Beach in Little River SC . If you can travel there you will be blown away by the selection.

Jussto and smokin artist like this.
  10. smokin artist

smokin artist Member

Thanks for the input I'll try to order some online, might make a trip to little river when I got the money to spend some extra money thanks for helping me out PSF always delivers. Could someone school me on tinned tobacco like shelf life, etc. I'd really like the input, thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.