IT'S GROWING ON ME

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I got off work early today, came home, and checked the mail. There it was, the tin of Peterson's University Flake.

I popped it open and was met with a wonderful blueberry tin note. (T/R indicates that it is plum, but it smells like blueberries to me, and has a ever so slight blueberry taste as well). The flakes are long and wide, and are just slightly lighter in color than Erinmore flakes. The UF flakes were not overly moist, they rubbed-out quite nicely, and were easy to light. Keeping then lighted, however, is proving to be a trick. However, I'm thinking that this is merely an issue of coming to understand this flake.

Smoked at the pace the I normally smoke Erinmore, which I do sip, I think this is just a "meh" toby. However, when sipped very slowly this is turning out to be a really nice, mello smoke with a very full and rich flavor and I figure the trick to really getting this flake is to find the right cadence. I've read on T/R that Peterson tobies are "love or hate" type smokes. I don't think this fair to either the toby or the smoker, since it's been my experience with Peterson blends that they take several bowls before I truly appreciate them. Kind of like old Dodge engines - they might not come on strong right off the line, but once they kick in they're real rockets. So it's proving to be with UF.

Now that I've hit the half-way point on this bowl, smoking it in a MM bent Gentleman, this is a very nice smoke - but the Vitamin N content is giving me a helluva buzz! This is my first bowl so I'm not going to jump to conclusions yet, but it appears that this is going to be one of my favorites.

albot9 likes this.
  2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

RTO,

You may want to try drying it out a bit longer.
    Also, as with most flakes, fully rubbing out,
    then cannonballing is a tried and true method
    of getting a great smoke from one's flakes.

dp

3. RTOdhner

I'm going to smoke another bowl later tonight, so I'm leaving a flake out to dry right now.

4. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

I've always heard that University Flake is an excellent smoke, but have yet to try it.

5. RTOdhner

I recommend doing it on a full stomach. It's got some Vitamin N and starch to it.

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Have you smoked Irish Flake? Anybody know if the nicotine levels are comparable?

7. RTOdhner

I've got a tin of Irish Flake on order. I heard it's even stouter. Guess I'll find out.

8. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

From a review on TR.com, about Irish Flake:
    "It is a very strong tobacco. I have been smoking a pipe for several decades now, but those years have not been enough to qualify me as being experienced in this case. Peterson's Irish Flake made me nauseous and dizzy. I vomited several times, much like my experience when I first tried pipe smoking many years ago.
    Still, this was not enough to discourage me. Irish Flake tastes wonderful, but I must restrict myself to smoking half a bowl of it at a time until I grow accustomed to its effects."
    .....LOL...like a kick in the 'nads....and he still wants more....LOL

....thank you,sir....may I have another....

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It's seriously strong stuff, but also seriously delicious. I have to pace myself with it as well. I was hoping the UF would be a little lighter. I prefer my smokes on the easy-to-get-along-with end of the spectrum.

10. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

K....up until 6 months ago, when I quit, I was at least a pack a day smoker of Marlboro 72's....but, even I have doubts about smokin' Irish Flake....lol.

11. RTOdhner

Where be yer stones, lad?!

I'm on my second bowl of UF now. I left a flake out to dry for a couple of hours, and there has been a big difference. Still pretty stout compared to OGS, but it also has a deeper and richer flavor than OGS. I still have to work on keeping it lit, but oh yes this is some good stuff. I likes flake toby I does, and I sure likes this. Roy's rating::bdance: :bdance: (and that rating is only going up).

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I smoke both University and Irish Flake as part of my regular rotation; both are high nicotine, but the Irish is stronger. If you were smoking a pack of cigs a day six months ago, you'll have no problems; I was in the same boat.

Well, actually, you might not want to puff your first bowl while operating a chainsaw or motor-vehicle...but you shouldn't end up on the floor if you don't go too hard.

13. RTOdhner

I've got the IF on order, but I'm thinking I'm gonna need to get accustomed to this UF before I take on the IF. This UF keeps getting better and better the more and more I sip on it, and I'm sitting here thinking "Man, this is what pipe smoking is all about!" as I puff away on a MM strait Egg full of it. I've been reading that if I like UF, then I'll like IF even more. I don't know if that's going to be true, but I sure am looking forward to finding out.

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Some tobaccos don't make any impression, but after I let them sit awhile, I come back to them and they grow on me. Others catch my fancy immediately, but after awhile they lose their charm. We all have our favorites that we weren't impressed with originally, but since we bought the tin, we stick with it and learn to coax enjoyment out of them. Always give a tobacco a second chance.

Cheers,
    WK

15. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I never noticed any funny effects from the University Flake, other than I seem to go through tins rather quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.