It's worked over 4 thousand times!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

This is yet another pipe lighter story.

This morning I noticed a lot of carbon buildup on my Old Boy lighter. I got an old tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol and started to clean it. I was thinking, "Where did all this carbon come from? This lighter isn't that old". I've never given a thought to the number of times I've used it. I bought it a little over four years ago. So, if I smoked a pipe 350 days a year, an average of 3 times a day for 4 years, that's over 4 thousand lights. Correct?

I won't go any farther without mentioning a "pillar of strength" the legendary Zippo! Tons of pictures of our fighting men in World War II were taken and in many of those black and white pictures the Zippo lighter was prominently displayed. History has recorded, on numerous occasions, the handing down of a venerated Zippo to the next generation.

My point is, I don't think I've ever had anything that took 4 thousand hits without needing repair or just giving out.

If I were to give advice to a beginning pipe smoker it would be, "Spend the money for a good pipe lighter. Don't look at it as an expense but an investment. Hang on to it. When you're done, pass it on to the next generation". When you've done that, it isn't "just" a lighter anymore. It becomes part of history.

OBD.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Mine soots up with garden variety butane over a six months or more; less no with higher end stuff like Vector or other triple+ filters gas. When it won't light on the first strike I do what you sis with 91% isopropyl and a soft brush. Presto - back to first strike lighting. Fabulous lighter.

Dottle_Dan, Ol Brokedik and Thuber88 like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wow .. that's a lot of lights when you total it up . Very cool !

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

that's well over four thousand when you consider how few of those bowls only required one light.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  5. Bob K

Bob K Member

Good grief!! I still carry a Zippo, a gift from my wife 30+ years ago. It's a silver case, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And lest you ask, I also have a Dunhill & a Dupont.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That's pretty cool OBD.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  7. Ol Brokedik

Right you are, MacNutz! It's probably double that amount. Making allowances for wind, damp tobacco and *maladroitness it could be even more.

* Yes, it's a real word. I looked it up on the internet. **Everybody knows they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.
    ** I looked this up too.

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, it is a real word but I've learned not to use such words in polite conversation as the reactions are unpredictable. My editor is cruel to me and says humiliating things when I use such words, saying "You will only confuse the reader and cause them to lose focus." He's right, given that my target audience are people raised on TV and movies. Our ignorance, laziness, and disinterest, is killing our language.
    Yes, absolutely everything on the internet is true. "They" don't allow liars on the internet. :):)

9. Ol Brokedik

I couldn't agree with you more, MacNutz. It wasn't that long ago I thought I'd write a certain party a letter. You'll remember. It's when you express your thoughts by writing them down on a sheet of paper. You put that sheet of paper in an envelope with the address of the person you want it to go to.

I had to rethink sending the "hand written letter thing" because I thought it might cause irreparable damage to the recipient. You know, finding something so strange in the mail. When's the last time any of us received a hand written letter? When's the last time we wrote a hand written letter? I for one can't remember the last time. Shame on me.

p.s. MacNutz, please don't be too hard on me when you grade my paper. Even though English is my primary language I still struggle to use it properly.

MacNutz likes this.
  10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Ha, I am utterly lost without the spell checker. My grammar is just passable and my punctuation is all over the place. That is why I have to hire a copy editor. My hand writing is horrible and unreadable. But I'm hell on the qwerty board. :)

MDaws79, Bob K and Ol Brokedik like this.
  11. TWolf

TWolf Member

Am I the only one who chuckles when they see the title of this thread in combination with OBD's username?

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My 25 year old Old Boy looks like it's been through WWII but it still works perfectly. It used to be black finish, now it's spotty black on gold. :ohyh:

I can't recall the last time I lit a pipe with anything but an Old Boy. I still have my old DuPont cigar lighter, which is also an excellent lighter.

MDaws79 and Ol Brokedik like this.
  13. Ol Brokedik

If only. If only..............

MDaws79 likes this.
  14. highstump

highstump Active Member

At least no mention was made of anything being out of warranty.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  15. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

Just want to chime in here that I just recently got a used Old boy off of Ebay, The seller said that they didn't think it worked. When i got it I drained whatever was in there and filled it up with some 5x butane and it fired up perfectly on the first light. I love this lighter, it is now my most prized pipe possession.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  16. Ol Brokedik

That's as much good luck as any of us are allowed to have in a lifetime. You scored big! Enjoy.

MDaws79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.