I've come to realize

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Kyle Black, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Maybe its just me, but I don't consider smoking a pipe a hobby. To me its a way if life. Not to say I base my life around smoking a pipe, but more along the lines that my smoking has come to be a main stay, almost like showering or eating. I don't think about it all day, I don't get caught up in the fuss of doing everything right. I know I will probably never quit on my pipes and they won't on me. Who cares if I didn't get the perfect fill of the bowl this smoke? There are more to come. So what if it takes me ten lights, last time I checked I was in no hurry. I'm not saying I don't enjoy when everything goes perfect but I do know that if it doesn't, I'm still gonna have a fair smoke at worst.

It's not a hobby to me its part of my life, maybe I'm weird I don't know, I just see everyone saying hobby nd that's not how a pipe fits in my life.

Thoughts?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I think all important hobbies are parts of the hobbiest's life. I suppose we use the term "hobby" as opposed to "vocation" - something we spend a lot of time doing and learning about and enjoying. I definitely consider pipes and tobaccos as part of my life. I guess I mean that when I'm not working or taking care of kids, I'm usually engaging in one or both of my hobbies - pipes and music. Both are as much a part of my life as anything else I do.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Great thread!

You know I'd say simply that pipes and pipe smokings been a part of my life - a very good and pretty big part all in all mind!

It's been an adventure, it's been a voyage of discovery...and on occasions it's been a bloody frustrate - but I've loved it.

Guess I'd say it's been a bit more than a hobby,

Best as ever

Gerry

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...I must be weird too!...I spend a lot of my days in my shop, machining parts for my model engines, clocks, folks vintage motor bikes etc. - THAT'S my hobby, NOT the pipe that's invariably in my mouth - enjoyable though it is!. I learned sixty years ago from Grandpa, as we sat around his fire - or tended his garden while he puffed away at the pipe of Erinmore flake (the real stuff!) but if I'd asked if it was his 'hobby' - he would have laughed, or clipped my ear - for taking the p#*s!. Now, if I was idle enough, or infirm enough (God forbid!) to spend my days just sat in a chair smoking a pipe and gazing at the horizon, or worse still - the 'idiot box' (TV) in the corner, then we may be talking hobby!.
    I know around here there is 'no such thing as a silly question', and everyone has to learn, but often the saying :-'much ado - about nothing' comes to mind!, as some of the questions and topics are so unnecessary as to border on the banal, but I suppose there would not be much of a forum if this were not the case. What then - am I doing here? - you might ask!...well I need a change from my hobbies...and pipes and tobacco have always been an integral part of daily life.....but hobby?...no!
    Cheers, OT

5. xnowimcoolx

xnowimcoolx Member

Good thoughts Black.

The only reason I wouldn't call it "a way of life" is because it sounds like a euphemism for "addicted" and in my little world people equate tobacco use with addiction.

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

All this time I was more inclined to consider my pipe as a casual diversion from other things, whether work or hobbies. Just something to do while driving, reading, writing, watching TV, after meals or during morning coffee -- anything that didn't require much other physical activity.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Some really insightful and interesting responses here! I'm anxious to see what else comes up. Really interesting thread. :thumb:

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I don't really consider pipe smoking my "hobby" but I often use the term instead of typing the phrase pipesmoking repeatedly. Pipesmoking to me is a hobby like preferring steak over chicken is a hobby or cotton shirts over poly-blends is a hobby.

Of course, I freely admit that I'm addicted to tobacco. As the sage said, a man without vice is a man without virtue.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hello...

My name is Gerry and I'm a nicotine addict, even worse I do not wish to be cured....I said that; a rather splendid English eccentric rejoicing in the name of Millican Dalton wrote on the walls of his cave in the Lake District, "“Don't waste words – jump to conclusions!" but he made sure he never ran out of Woodbine cigarettes,

Best as ever

10. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I wouldn't call the smoking a hobby. To my mind a "hobby" is a pastime like golf or making models - I was tempted to say something you do for its own sake, but I do smoke for the sake of smoking. I am not sure I can quite articulate the difference I am trying to capture. Perhaps smoking is more like eating - I certainly enjoy a nice meal when a plate of beans would adequately nourish me, but I don't consider eating a hobby.

Some aspects of pipes are more like a hobby - restoring old pipes, or collecting pipes. I don't really have a collection - just the pipes I smoke, and while I have done some minor repairs, I just do that to make sure I have a good smoking pipe. This is also like eating: one might make a hobby out of seeking out or cooking new or unusual foods, but I still don't think I would use the word hobby for my relationship with pipes and smoking.

11. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I can see where everyone is coming from. I wasnt necessarily saying that this wasn't/shouldn't be considered a hobby to others, just simply saying that to me, it is not.

I can see myself wanting to restore/make pipes down the road as a hobby, pipe in mouth of course.

12. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

It's a way of looking at that tobacco and going, "Hey bud, let's party!"

13. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I would have to agree, for me pipe-smoking isn't a hobby, but rather a way of life. Of course, that could be due to my having recently quit cigarettes in favour of a pipe; I am obviously addicted to nicotene (and very happy with my lot, thank you!).

That said, I do consider pipe-collecting and tobacco cellaring to lend themselves to the hobby aspect. I say this because our forefathers (and some of our peers) have proved that really, we can all get by with but one pipe, and one blend of tobacco, never mind rotating a dozen pipes throughout the day, and aging the thousands of blends available to us.

14. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

I am not sure I call it a hobby or a way of life. It is definitly part of my life and something I look forward to daily. So much so if time or situations don't allowing me my "smoking time" I get cranky and I have been told I am difficult to be around. (more then ther times I guess)If I had more time I would smoke more often.

Nice thread. I think what ever you chose to call it as long as it provides a viable enjoyable outlet does it really matter. To me it doesn't.

After all of that being said I am going to fire up a bowl to enjoy my "might be" hobby that has improved my overall way of life.

Z

15. Major

Major Member

Hobby.... and exceedingly enjoyable one at that, full of its own rewards and failures with searching for new toby's and pipes though I must curb my PAD problem :) just e little bit.

I don't drink much anymore. But when I do I like wine. But I don't like any wine. I like Italian wine. I love an Italian Merlot. How did I find that out? I got curious and took advantage of wine tasting events and did some reading. then I stopped because it's also an expensive hobby full of encounters with snotty people. But I still like my italian vino.

Pipe smoking for me started out 2 years ago as a curiosity imposed on me my memories from my home town elders, grandpa and norman rockwell life. Then I discovered a broader world of pipe tobacco full of its many simple subtleties and range excentric attributes.

I don't cram a pipe in my mouth every free moment I get during the day. I cram a pipe in my mouth when I want to appreciate a tasty blend with a scerene moment or relaxing activity where I can appreciate both. To just sit down and drink a glass of wine while doing nothing for the sake of drinking the glass doesn't work for me. Same with a pipe and good blend. Sometimes a good blend makes some crappy moments quiet splendid too.

I'm overly curious about whats in the next tin or review.

Definately a Hobby

16. Jay

Jay Active Member

I think it is a part of life that as a pipesmoker, we have chosen to partake of. It can be a wonderful experience and I think it is one of the finer points of life. To enjoy a nice tobacco during a contemplative/meditative moment or whatever elevates that moment to a status that is far above what may have been experienced without the pipe. my $.02.

J

17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

It's a way of life! :cheers:

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

for me, it's a health routine with a pleasurable "twist" [​IMG]

for example, one of my health routines is to drink a glass of wine or two every day, and not just any wine, I make an effort to try different varieties of different wineries from different vintages. see, I've heard red wine is good for your heart!

another of my health routines is to smoke at least a pipe bowl a day, I've heard it's a great way to reduce stress! and the twist is that I smoke different mixtures from different blenders in different pipes... always trying to find that perfect combination. And I must say I have found a few of those! But still, many more blends in the cellar yet to try, and many more pipes yet to buy :bing:

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I have to admit that it's a little of both to me.
    I smoke tobacco in a pipe because I enjoy it and it has become as much a part of "me" as the eye-glasses and beard. If it was gone, part of my lifestyle would be missing.
    The hobby part also kicks in. I collect and sample tobacco blends like some people collect recipes. I enjoy watching my pipes in the racks as much as anyone with an aquarium watches their fish. I like making racks and carving a pipe as much as any model builder likes their kits. I read as much about pipes and tobacco as any Civil War buff reads about Gettysburg.
    Yep, to me it's a little bit of both.
    Dan

20. ECross

ECross Member

I haven't been smoking long enough to call it a way of life yet, but I definitely know what you mean and could see it becoming that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.