1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

I've started a list of tobaccos to try...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dfrontiera, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Hey all!

As a new pipe smoker I think I'm starting to get into my 'niche' and today is the first time I had what I've heard many pipe smokers define as a 'euphoric' smoking experience. It couldn't have come at a better time for me, things have been really stressful this week. (my uncle whom I was very close to lost his battle with cancer on Monday) so I've been a bit of a shipwreck this week and today's smoking experience was a welcomed respite. But it also got me thinking about other tobacco's I want to try, so I compiled a list and would love to hear what you guys think, or what you have on your own list of tobaccos you would like to try. Also a quick note is these are all Boswell mixes, I'm basically going from store to store choosing what looks good placing the order and then moving to the next.

Paradise
    Berry Cobbler
    Boswell’s Best
    Cherry Smash
    Christmas Cookie
    Raspberry Cream
    Vanilla Cream

Hope your week is going better than mine,
    Keep smoking friends,
    -Deke

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

As for Bowsells, I would look at the peaches and cream also, it is one of my favorites from them. My top favorite, to the point I have a dedicated pipe, is Sweet Tea. If you do not like sweet tea, you will not like this tobacco either. If you are a fan of English tobaccos, Northwoods is very well liked around these parts. I like it by the wife does not, so it only comes out when she is not around.

3. Gondar

Gondar Member

I quite enjoyed their Pensylvania Dutch treat. It tasted like crumbled autumn leaves or old top soil, mayby, but in a pleasant, fresh and rich way. It is rich in flavour as well as Sweet tea, even if I found the sweet tea a little unidimensional in flavour. Same with no bite delight and their mild english and Northwoods too IMHO.
    All the Boswells I have tried,(courtecy to Fruktflugan) I found easy to smoke and mild enough for me to try out snorking with, which are bonuses for a complete novice like me. The complete novice part however mean that I might have missed a lot of flavour due to bad technique. Especially so as I only tried a few bowls of each.

ETA: only just saw the part about your uncle. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I find that smoking a pipe, for me at least distracts my thoughts from wandering all to far away.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

sorry to hear about your uncle.

and, while that list IS a good start, i do have one issue with it: not NEARLY long enough. remember, you're not a real smoker til you've tried them ALL.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

These are two that any piper should try at least once: C&D Autumn Evening, and Condor. You can search the forums for various reasons why this is so!

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well hell, I think everyone should try Mixture No.79, but probably not for the same reasons that the rest of these suggestions are up here.

7. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Thanks guys,
    I do intend to try everything I can get my hands on so all of your suggestions just went into my spreadsheet of tobaccos to try. I want to try everything I can get my hands on but I have limited funds so it'll take some time, but I fully intend to make a full go around of what's out there and give it a try.

Thanks so much and keep the suggestions coming!
    Keep smoking!
    -Deke

8. grga

grga Member

I am very sorry for your loss and, as the matter of tobacco, I would try Christmas Cookie too but, there are some Ruins Of Isengard and Shortcut To Mushrooms too. Besides already mentioned, I have my list of maybe 15 baccys I'll always have in my cellar.

9. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

I can vouch for the Shortcut to Mushrooms. That blend single-handedly turned me onto Latakia blends. It was just a month or so ago that I was all over this forum preaching my love of aromatics. Not anymore. The other night, I dove into some Obsidian and Larry's Blend. Two blends I swore off completely due to their over-abundance of Latakia. Now, if I don't get that smokey flavor, I feel like I haven't smoked. Smoooth and smooookey.

All of those blends sound so tasty to me, but I've got a pile stacking up of aromatics I can't tolerate. They all sound so delicious but they're all so bitey. They burn me up. That Christmas Cookie sounds great. I've been looking for a ginger'ish, gingerbread blend. Nothing yet. That may be as close as they come so far.

Someone said that if they wanted to taste a candy bar, he'd buy a candy bar. That comment irritated me on some level, but I've come to understand what it means. I've tried many, many different flavor blends, from Coffee to Butterscotch and many, many more and it's always a middle of the road experience. I don't get the butterscotch or coffee flavor in quantities that I want, and I don't get hearty tobacco flavor either. So if I'm going to smoke, I'm going to smoke something that has a smokey flavor and leave the deserts on the dinner table.

Moments ago, I just bought a trash bag of that Shortcut to Mushrooms and tacked on the Middle Earth sampler to boot. Yes, yes, I know, Shortcut comes in that sampler too, so consider it a trash bag and an ounce. I'm in love with the stuff right now. Started smoking it Halloween night and haven't stopped, except for the morning Prince Albert.

A few aromatic standbys include:

Ebony (Tobacco Barn)
    Black Velvet (Guinness and Champagne)
    Spanish Galleon

10. grga

grga Member

Didn't try that aros from your list...

The one and only aro for me is McClelland's Town Topic, however, I have and randomly like to smoke Peterson Special Reserve 2007, Larsen Limited Edition 2010, Dan Tobacco Da Vinci, 4Noggins Three Blind Moose, Sillem's Green...

Well, reading reviews made me to think about Mushrooms and Isengard but it is impossible to import bulk tobacco to my country atm so I have to be patient and wait.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's another vote for Boswell's Pennsy Dutch Treat. It tasted like fresh berries and at the same time the rich tobacco flavor and vitamin N content was most satisfying. I can't reccomend this one highly enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.