1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Iwan Reis Flakes Question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brian, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Member

I've smoked a few ounces of IRC Virginia Flake. To me, it is a very similar flavor style to Dunhill Flake. I like it a lot! I was just getting ready to place an order for more, and thought I might buy one of their others to try.

Problem: The descriptions are a little confusing, and the tobaccoreviews.com is all confused in their labeling. Can anyone who has smoked these two describe them to me? What are big-name blends would you say are similar?

#1: 2010 Flake "A smooth and zesty smoke comprised of naturally sweet Virginias."
    That sounds pretty much like the IRC Virginia Flake I am already ordering. Is this much different?

#2: 2035 Flake "Stoved, matured Virginias pressed into a cake. Beautifully dark and fragrant."
    Has anyone smoked this? What's it like? Is it similar to anything else out there I might be familiar with? I have smoked a couple tins of McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Anything like that?

Thanks!

2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

IRC Virginia Flake is the only one made in Denmark....I do not know the difference...never tried 2010 or 2035.

3. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Those numbers make it sound like those are McClelland blends

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. jefe1037

jefe1037 New Member

IRC Va Flake is blended by Orlik/PS as are the IRC Slices The 2010 and 2035 are very different. I am not a fan of the latter two, while Slices and Va Flakes are some of my favorites. FWIW, if you are in chicagoland, stop by the store... they have open jars of ALL their house blends (about two dozen i think) and it is the only place in chicago where you can sit down and try it right there in the store

Dondi likes this.
  5. Brian

Brian Member

Brilliant observation!!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't notice that.

I looked at the descriptions for McClelland bulk 2010 and 2035. Sure enough, it's a match. That answers my question perfectly. I can pick that stuff up locally. No need to order off the interwebz.

Rewster66 and Ted Vig like this.
  6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I'm thinking that IR VF is Peter Stokkeybe..or it could be McBaren. IR doesn't stock any PS Blends, that why I think it is PS....and maybe neither one.

Ted Vig likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The other two are rebranded McClelland bulk flakes #2010 (Classic Virginia) and #2035 (Dark Navy Flake)

8. Brian

Brian Member

IRC VF might be blended by PS. Maybe I am wrong, but I think this one is blended just for Iwan Reis. It came as very large flake slices, mostly intact, which reminds me of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. flakes. I could believe PS too.

It doesn't seem like a MacBaren blend. It really doesn't match their style IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.