Jack Knife Plugs

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So are there any out there that are worth writing home about or are they all pretty much the same? I'd imagine they'd be mostly VA's & Va/pers, which would be fine to me.

I was just wondering if anyone had one they absolutely loved because I'm looking to give the jack knife world a shot for the first time after pipe smoking for 12 years, lol. Thanks in advance!

~J

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Triple Play Plug from GL Pease. That's the only plug I've tried yet. I just received some Jacknife Plug from GLP, so I'll have more feedback when I crack it open.

jason1977 likes this.
  3. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I recently got some GLP JackKnife Plug (my first plug of this type), I like it, it has Kentucky in it (probably why I like it so much) it also has a nice sweetness to it.

Johnny, Rodfather, jdto and 1 other person like this.
  4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I'd be interested in hearing about it!

5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

You just did, that is the extent of my review :ohyh:.

jason1977 and BigJ like this.
  6. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

so not much to write home about, LOL!!!

7. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Try it, you'll like it. It is one of my favorites.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like jackknife plug. It's strong, without losing elegance or sweetness. Definitely a full bodied smoke, but great (and versatile)

jason1977 likes this.
  9. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Oh it's very good my reviewing skills are not ;).

10. Johnny

Johnny Member

I've been working on a tin of Jack Knife Plug for a while now and it's a great smoke. It's a little sweet and pretty strong in flavor from the Kentucky. Strength will depend on your nicotine tolerance I would imagine. It's not too strong for me but I've been smoking cigarettes for 20 years and prefer stronger blends most of the time. There are lots of ways to prepare it too which if fun. I prefer cutting it really thin then rubbing it out into a shag cut. You can cut it into flakes for a fold and stuff or cube it and gravity fill. That's half the fun to me!

Rodfather and jason1977 like this.
  11. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

There are a number of outstanding plugs available to the pipe smoker these days, IMHO.
    Here are a few of my personal favourites:
    Revor Plug, dark and smoky, but lil' bit sweet too​
    Cob Plug, rounded out version of 1792​
    3P, dark and fruity and delicious​
    Dark plug, this might be the perfect baccy​
    Kendal Plug, quality brown VA, pure and simple​
    Canon Plug, highly scented brit plug, very good​
    Grousemoor Plug, lemon vanilla scented Kendal Plug, waay better than it sounds​
    Condor Plug, if you can find it​
    Velvan Plug, ditto​

12. krusty

krusty Active Member

That list is a thing of beauty Biggles. Has had me add a few to my wish list.

Also consider Wessex Gold Plug. Mild and sweet Va. Smokes best for me when I shave very thin flakes.

Scottly and Alan Dye like this.
  13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

That's GL Pease?

14. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Thank you for the list!!! I'll be sure to check those out!!! Have you ever tried Wessex?

15. Johnny

Johnny Member

Yeah, that's the GL Pease blend. Revor Plug that Biggles referenced is very good too but pretty expensive to get in the US. Peterson 3Ps is really tasty as well although a bit more dense than Jack Knife Plug

16. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Cheers krusty...y'know in alot of ways I believe we're living in a golden age in terms of the quality and availability of pipe baccy. I don't smoke much of the Gold Brick myself but I did toss a few blocks in the cellar a couple of years back as I reckon it'll age beautifully. Happy puffing matey.

Jason, yes both the JKP and the Triple Play are from Greg's New World line. Last I checked smokingpipes had a sweet sale on Triple Play 8oz tins, FWIW. Cheers.

krusty and jason1977 like this.
  17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Thanks m8, lol. I'll have to check them out. It seems the benefit of a plug is being able to control the nicotine you get while you smoke?

18. Johnny

Johnny Member

Not so much the control of nicotine, the way you can prepare them you can control the burn a little bit more efficiently

Old Codger likes this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

yep, G.L. Pease makes jack knife plug.

There are plenty of other good plugs out there. Most are at least medium bodied, many are quite strong. No particular reason, I suppose, except for a gradual tendency over the years for people to tend to gravitate towards more an more mild tobaccos....so older fashioned formats tend to also be more old fashioned blends.

I really like 3Ps, and it's not too strong. Ditto Kendal Plug. Both are certainly medium-full, but more leaning towards medium

Old Codger and jason1977 like this.
  20. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Jason, the appeal of plug baccy for me is that I get a helluva lot more flavour out of it. It tends to smoke alot cooler and, for me at least, that translates into more flavour. Many plugs also tend towards the fuller end of the VitN spectrum, which I enjoy as well, but I'm not so sure about being able to control the amount of nicotine as such, other than simply smoking less tobacco.

jason1977 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.