Jacknife plug?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'm a longtime plug smoker - 'Revor', 'Warrior', 'Walnut', 'Mick McQuaid' etc., and noted the excitement when Jacknife made it's debut. Naturaly I wonder how it shapes up to the (small) competition, anyone smoking it now?.....I know there are some reviews, but would like to hear one, or some short opinions from this esteemed board.:)
    Cheers, OT

2. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Overall I'd have to say the JackKnife plug is a high quality plug but the tobacco is a little young. It is on the stronger side but not as much as FVF. The tobacco flavor is grassy and earthy but a little muted.
    I believe this plug would benefit greatly from some time spent in the cellar to let the tobaccos age a bit.
    As of right now I prefer Wessex Gold Brick to JackKnife but that may change in few months!

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I agree with the time to age. Right now, it's a great smoke for being just pressed n' cut. I felt it lured me in with the sweet va's then the burley chocolates kicked in and I was gone! Chocolate........mmmmmmmmmm, delicious chocolate....then the nic hit me! It came on very smooth and velvety (the nic) and let me know Lady N would be having her way with Puff for a while (good solid nic, moderate to strong if ya push her! :P ). And that she did! What a wonderful blend! I still feel this toby is up for an award, maybe "Best of 2011"? Don't know, GLP's "Triple Play" just came out and it's supposedly Va forward Va-Per mainly with a very attenuated dark fired for depth. It's the "New World" Series by GLP. Hope they're ALL Plugs! :D

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

obtw, it was 2t2m and smoked the most between the two tobys (or at least commented on the most).

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I personally don't like it. I found it tastes like dirty hay that's been set on fire. I realize a lot of people enjoy it, but just not me. A pretty big nic hit too. I like the plug form however and I hope it's something that other brands begin to offer.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

I still say "plug tobacco" is for chewing...:xd:

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If you decide to try some, experiment with various cuts... slice it, dice it, cube it. It's quite a complex tobacco and different cuts create different smoking experiences. This is by design. Slice it horizontally and vertically and you have 2 different tobaccos. Cube it and it becomes something else again. It's definitely something to experiment with before making final judgment.

7. Puff The Magic

I guess some of us have not discovered fire yet.... ;)

Ed
    Puff

TxPipesmoker and ichabod like this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

A good overall tobacco, but it really could stand some age on it. I prefer Mick McQuaid. Hopefully these tins will shine in a few years.
    As an aside, I've found that ALL of Greg's tobaccos seem to need time to mature. I try to give them at least 6 mo. to a year before really judging them.
    @DMK...I first sliced this long-wise and ended up with a bunch of what looked like leafe slivers. Sliced the second plug cross-wise and it worked much better.

9. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

It's new, nothing special, a great cigar smoke imo. I think the hype creates around it because it's a plug.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ditto!:)

11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I like it alot but it isn't going to be for everyone. I found the cut and humidity level to be pretty important. I liked this one cut in wider flakes, dried out quite a bit and then rubbed out.

If you like blends with dark fired Kentucky this one might be worth looking at. I love the darker, heavier, earthier blends so this one was a good fit.

I have a couple tins of Triple Play on the way and I have high hopes for it as well.

12. dmkerr

When I slice it length-wise, I fold and stuff. Cross-wise I rub out. Two different tobaccos. But I prefer cross-wise as well.

13. Puff The Magic

So far, I've enjoyed JKP rubbed and cubed but haven't done the fold rolled n stuff'd yet. I still feel this one's a bit strong but I'm smoking stronger (nic) toby lately and by doing that, it actually helps me to enjoy the nice strong n long nic buzz but it helps me appreciate these more stout blend and even enjoy smoking the lesser nic'd tobys I have been enjoying. It's a win - win - win!

Ed
    Puff

14. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

GL Pease recommends cutting it cross-wise....slicing it length-wise just peels off individual layers and you don't get the blend of the plug as intended. Of course there's no law against it, just restating what he said.

15. dmkerr

True. But I often experiment with tobacco. I experiment with LP's, too. A Grant Green LP cut at 33.3 RPM but played at 45 RPM sounds like a cross between John McLaughlin and Joe Pass. :punk:

16. Puff The Magic

Amazing what 6 months did in the jar! Revisited this leaf last evening and was WOW'd completely. This could replace FVF for me.........

Ed
    Puff

17. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Not for me...I prefer the SG plugs.

18. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I smoked a tin of JKP right when it was released...good stuff I thought but a little young. I have another 3 tins in the cellar which I think will improve dramatically with a year's age on it. Greg Pease posted on how he thought this tobacco should be prepared for smoking...shaved thinly, fully rubbed out and allowed to dry. Worked for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.