1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Jambo meer

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Prof, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, I finally got around to looking closely at my first pipe I bought 20 years ago at school; it is a Jambo meer, in a large poker shape with the artificially blackened rim. It was my understanding that these were pressed meers, but, there is a statement on the pipe that says "genuine block meershaum", so is it pressed or not?

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

I see them on eBay frequently I assumed they were African meer, I've never bid high enough to win one.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If it says block meer, with an artificially blackened rim, African meer would be my first thought too, not pressed; especially 20 years ago when there was plenty of meer coming out of Africa. You got any coloring going on after all those years? That would be a good way to tell, meer will show its natural grain when it starts to color. Whether African or Turkish, not so much if it's pressed.

African meer feels like a rock, pressed meer (and Turkish block) feels like you could gouge it with a fingernail IMHO

yinyang likes this.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What Jussto said, only I would have used twice the words to only be half as clear.

I've not looked, but I have some vague notion I've heard Jambo associated with African block meerschaum.

5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

In a slightly related note, Jambo is "Hello" in Swahili.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

African block meerschaum - made in the Isle of Man.
    OT

7. Prof

Prof Member

It has darkened a little, but the surface seems laquered or something...it does not feel terribly soft, nor super light, but it is a good size pipe...smokes well, metal tube sticks out of the shank, and the stem fits onto that metal tube...so, if African, it is of lesser quality than Turkish, right?

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Depends on your definition of lesser quality. If you go by generally accepted notions of ease of coloring and level of fine detail in carving, than I suppose yes. However, if you want to discuss toughness and durability, well, all bets are off. Smoking characteristics would be a case of individual preference, assuming the individual even perceives a difference between them.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on Yang's response. If it smokes as good, it would be hard to say it's of lesser quality. African meer is just way harder to carve, so the fine details you see on Turkish block meer are near impossible to recreate on African meer.

10. Prof

Prof Member

I did get it in Cambridge, and it says "Made in England", which I thought was odd, as most pipes I have seen use the GB or UK stamp? At least those that are recent?

There is grain showing up, you can see small bits of what look like tiny slightly darker pinhead size pits on the outside (but the general color is creamy golden, same as when I bought it, may moons and bowls ago - I figured (after I knew more) that they had artificially colored and stabilized it somehow, but when I researched and found out that Jambos were pressed, that made sense - with a pressed material, I thought they could easily stabilize the material and make it any color they wanted.

Smokes like a tiny Turkish meer that I have, really very nice - sometimes the bowl will get uncomfortable warm - but if that is the case, I shut it right down lest I crack something - the VA's tend to smoke absurdly hot in this pipe. Takes anything I throw at it - and stays that famously inert meer way.

If I can get past work today, I will try to post a pic.

Thanks -

11. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

already answered your question---and it is verified

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.