Jaring twist toby

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by soundlzrd, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

How do you all jar your twist Toby. Just got some yesterday and it is not going to fit my half 8oz jars, which is fine, but I don't see it smashing down all that well in a 16 oz wide mouth. Do you still worry about air space? Do you just cut it down to size?

Thanks

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

I cut it into smasller lengths. For aging I make it just short enough to fit in the jar. If I'm gonna be smoking it soon I cut it into pieces only 1/4 inch in length. So the prep is easier.

3. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I like to leave it intact. Reason is the way I prep my ropes. I take tiny discs, maybe 1/16" disks and cut them in half and rub out. I find that the last 1/2" or so of rope is a pain to cut how I like..

Just me, but like zfog said, just cut into four inch or so pieces and jar, just makes it easier.

When you develop a way to smoke them you will then know the best way for storage.

4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I always cut them down to 2-inch (or thereabouts) lengths and then muscle them into jars leaving as little air space as I can. It seems to work well, though the oldest jarred rope I have is only about 2 years old.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As in previous posts - the common-sense thing is surely to cut it up to a manageable size??
    OT

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I took the nail out holding the 1 lb "knot" and gently uncoiled a length and then guided the rope into the jar coiline it up from the bottom to the top then filling the middle. These were wide-mouth pint jars. However you get y'er rope in the jars is totally your choice. Prior prepping (as in cutting down to smaller sizes, etc.) Saves time and allows for easier "grab & go". I did have to convince the rope was going into the jar initially but all of the rest just coiled in with minimal persuasion.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

7. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Thanks for the incite guys! To prep I just a cigar cutter and cut into very think slices. Worked well. If I like this stuff as much as I did the first bowl, a pound may be in the future. For now, just cut to size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.