1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Jar'n leaf, there's 2 ways........ lemme tellya Puff's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Two ways. I break it down to for the smoke "now-6 months" or "smoke now and enjoy some/more shortly, and then "for the haul" or basically "cellar".

I pick jars from 4 0z (yes, you can fit 50 gm (-) a bowl or two into these little jars and it's a breeze with flakes/coins/plug/crumble cake, all the way to 12 oz "tall-skinny" which work great for flakes like Marlin Flake, Stonehaven, LGF, Silver Flake, SG & GH flakes........ these "smaller" jars are for the shorter "now-6 months" smoke. My "Ready Smoke" jars.

For the haul, I also pick the 12 oz tall-skinnies but go upwards to 16 oz and 32 oz. Even have a couple of 2 L jars (filled with 7 packets of Silver Flake in one and my small stash of cigars w/humi-tube for the ride). I prefer the 16 oz wide mouth jars for the "looking back" recommendation. I can jar up a pound in 4 of the 16 oz jars and all with mild compression if any at all. Over the haul, however many months it takes me to smoke from the smaller "ready smoke" jars, I'd only have to open up one of the smaller 16 oz jars to reload. More flexibility and I believe better quality cellarin'.

To help with "funneling" your leaf into the jars, why not use a funnel? How stoopid!!!-ly clever! :D So, I took a small "traffic cone" or long mechanics funnel and cut off the narrow end to about 1.75 inch diameter (maybe closer to 2 inches, it fits an 8 oz jelly jar nicely, inside about an inch depth). This makes tin/can "dumping" a breeze! :D I don't use the funnel for flakes/rope. Those get hand placed and or "twisted" into the jar. My flake jars have some just standing up, where others have a spiral of the flake that's been mildly compressed and twisted "spiraled" into the jars. Get a funnel or something like that to guide or coral the leaf into safety.

Work surface is fairly important, one of my local pipin' buddies was cellarin' on the floor one night and decided to "move up" to a table.......... I use a tray in my lap. It has side walls 2" high, is 20" x 22" and holds the operation for everything. It's mobile. Can set it down and move it out of "harms way" if I need to set it down quickly and meet the UPS/FedEx angel with my packages (PAD/TAD related, usually :p). The tray makes clean up and salvage very easy if a mishap should occur.

Just figur'd I'd share some of my "pearls puff learn'd" over the past year of "Full Tilt TAD'n" :D

Ed
    Puff

P.S. I know you pipers think I'm over the deep end and down deep, I know I am! :D Especially with how I label my jars. It's a hobby that I really enjoy, every turn and every "hey, that works great" moments.

Kiowapipe and Rewster66 like this.
  2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Crazy? Maybe. But we also know that twenty years from now you'll be having the last laugh sittin' and smokin' over there in the deep end! :)

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like it, but don't have the volume of toby to have two different canning systems... yet. Hamborger Veermaster is the only thing I have any weight in (1 lb) + some tins. I have it in the factory sealed bag and then double bagged it in a ziplock freezer bag. Would you suggest moving it to a big jar or a couple of jars instead?

As I find tobaccos that are above "like" and move into the "love" category, I'll start accumulating more bulk of those. The other issue is availability of the ones I love. Honestly, at 1 and sometimes 2 bowls per day, my current cellar would last years: 11 pint jars, 14 tins, 12 odd canisters w/5-8oz ea, and a 1 lb bag of HV.

My problem is, after nearly 3 years of smoking, there are still more tobaccos to try than to stock up on in bulk. Then, there's the tobaccos I bought to try and thought were good, but not great. I still want to smoke them 'til they are gone, but probably won't buy them again. I guess I'd still like to bulk up on some of the "loves" in case they quit making them or the tobacco-nazi's make them too expensive or difficult to buy in the future.

I think if I used your method, which sounds great, I could just scale things down a bit, to fit my quantity of usage. I could get some of the shorter wide mouth mason jars for consumption. Use the pints for long term storage and take a bit out of them when I get low. Maybe have a few large jars of the "love it" stuff.

You've provided some great information (as usual) and helped me fine tune a cellar plan going forward.

Thanks!

Brad

5. Puff The Magic

Make the most of your stash! I've also found the 8 oz "Kerr" canning jars with the wide mouths to be the most friendly size jar to have a "platter of 12" to choose from and load from and enjoy! They're the wide mouths with the tapered jelly-jar shape vs. a squat square bubble type of shape like the "Elite".

Whenever I see these, I pick up a flat or two. One jar/One tin........... easy! These are my preferred "ready smoke" leaf vessels. My "now smoking" vessel is my pipe! :P

Ed
    Puff

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Problem is those small Kerr jars are so hard to find. I have been looking for well over a year now. I swear when I find them I will buy at least three flats!

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Is there any real harm in compressing tobacco into the jars? I find that an 8oz Elite Ball jar easily holds 50g - 2oz of tobacco. I had a 100g tin of HOTW with about 70 grams left that I wanted to jar up, and it fit, but needed to be crammed in a bit.

8. Albert

Albert Active Member

ive wondered this as well, I mean most tobaccos come pretty compressed in the tin.

9. Puff The Magic

Nope! Not at all. The tobacco(s) will be married that much better. Look at how packed it is in the tin..........

I've not noticed any problems at all. When I open a compressed jar, the lid is still sealed when the ring is off. I just rub some of the leaf out of the jar until I have however much I want and re-seal.

Ed
    Puff

10. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

Puff, what sort of sterilization process do you follow for your jars?

I've been running the glass bits thru the dishwasher and air drying any water that's left, and then loading em up. I recall reading that canning with heat can do funky things (even dishwasher hot). I've never subscribed to the "age it in the sun on the dashboard" approach, although I'm sure it makes things taste different/better on some blends. I'm just of the opinion that you're stoving it, not really aging it, at that point.

With a new jar lid with a good condition rubber seal, I can jar em up at room temperature and let em sit a while, and then have to pry the top off later, so I'm comfortable with the seal I get, even if I get no vacuum.

I don't have years of storage with this method to test against, but have anecdotal evidence from other puffers on other boards that this is good enough. But I figure you have some better ideas about sterilization coming from your line of work and or from experience with longer storage.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I need to start cellaring, maybe a pound or two (or so) a year as a hedge against the day when the nazis completely outlaw the stuff. So far, I want to cellar Plum Cake, Granger, Carter Hall, and Walnut. I'm going to order some Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme next month, and if it turns out that this is the elusive English blend that I've been searching for for year then I'll be cellaring that too.

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Puff- you do anything in particular to sterilize the lids before jarring? Obviously can't get them too hot lest the rubber/plastic melt or burn.

13. Puff The Magic

Clean jars, lids & rings. Dishwasher, handwash, ettc. If the jar has been used for anything other than leaf, it gets washed. New lids for sure. Tobacco is not sterile. No need for anything to be sterile in cellarin' ........... clean, YES! Sterile? No.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.