Jars for cellaring

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Hi there - I've been thinking that it may be time to start making plans to cellar some bulk tobacco. I would just like a bit of information about which jars are best. I know that Mason jars seem to be the most popular. Why is that? Is it the two part lid that is important? Would a normal preserving jar with a normal screw-on lid do the job? I am sure that this has been discussed many times on here so if anyone has any info or could point me to a previous thread I would appreciate it.

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I use the screw on lids. So far so good (knock on wood or should I say briar):haha:
    I use them more for convenience. I don't know if they're any better than some other styles.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Mason jars have stood up well to the test of time.....nothing else seems to work quite as well.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I just realized that I wasn't clear on my post. I forgot to mention that the ones that I use are mason jars with the 2 part screw on lids. :doh:

I am not familiar with other style canning jars...

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've tried acrylic jars with rubber lined snap lids, plastic canisters with thick silicone liners, and several jar and lid types. I agree that the mason jars with 2 piece lids seem to work best. I've had other types fail to keep a seal, resulting in dried out tobacco.

Plus, the mason jars come in so many cool shapes & sizes. 32 ozers for your pounds, 16 ozers for the 8 oz purchases like Penzance or Stonehaven or for stacking 4 tins worth in together. I like the short little stubby 8 oz wide mouth jars too. They hold a tin just perfectly and you can reach to the bottom without any problem. All the jars I get are wide mouth.

[​IMG]

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I do think mason jars with the two piece lids work best. Glass is much better at maintaining moisture levels than any form of plastic, and even bail-top glass jars aren't fool-proof, plus they're usually more expensive. Canning jars are designed for the long haul, unlike any other type, plus if the seals are compromised, you can just go buy a new box of seals (the flat part) for a couple of bucks and your jars are as good as new.

Herb

7. furious

furious Junque collector

Both types work fine for me. Just use good rubber gaskets or a couple of layers of saran wrap if you have the bail type lids.

8. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I keep the tobacco I'm smoking most right now in a bail jar for convince. I'm looking at varying sizes of masons to start my cellar.

9. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I've read that some folks use pickle or spaghetti sauce jars, but only after numerous washings, soakings, and cleanings to get that pickle flavor out of the rubber in the lid. To me, the two-part lid mason jars (Ball or Kerr style,) are probably the best bet.

Not sure where you call home, but 'round these parts, Ace Hardware stores have the Ball jars in all sorts of sizes of the wide and regular mouth variety at prices better than any other store - online or otherwise.

10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Alot of spaghetti jars will accept a 2 piece Ball jar lid. You can wash them in the dishwasher, put a new 2 piece lid on them and they are fine. I don't use them as I don't generally need that large of a jar for tobacco.

Brad, I just bought up a few 4 packs of those short 8 oz widemouth jars from my local Wal Mart. They were on clearance for like a buck for 4. To me they are the perfect jar for my current rotation. They look nice sitting out, I can get my fat fingers in them and can reach all the way to the bottom. I still prefer the regular 8 oz size narrow mouth "jelly jars" for cellaring since I can put them back in their case boxes and stack the case boxes in my closet.

BradNTX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.