Jf germain & son brown flake vs. esoterica stonehaven

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Love these two blends and both disappear off the shelves as fast as you can blink an eye!

Stonehaven only available in bulk

Brown Flake only in tins

Both dark (stoved ?) va's but Stonehaven has the added heft of a nice burley

Flavors are very similar but with Stonehaven being deeper, heavier, richer and more nic-hit but both extremely close in overall performance. Both burn clean. Feels moist but burns nicely to the bottom. Clean grayish white ash.

I have read that in UK, Stonehaven is available as Germain's Dark Flake but I have no experience with this leaf as JFG Dark Flake.

What I don't quite understand is why Esoterica Tobacciana leaf is only marketed in the US. Maybe these blends are marketed under a different name outside of the US. Either way, JFG blends some stellar smoke no matter what it's called.

If you like one and can't find it, the other will fill the bill or at least get you thru til you get more.

Ed
    Puff

2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Brown Flake is one of my fav. It's almost like comfort food to me

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Ed,

It is really pretty simple. Mike Butera of Houston Tx owned Butera Pipe Co. Esoterica is a line of tobaccos developed for and marketed by Butera. While made by Germain they are not Germain's to distribute. So if Butera chooses to only market in the states it is their decision to make. Germain may make and distribute similar/same blends under their own label if there is nothing legally keeping them from doing so. They just can't produce and distribute a line that doesn't belong to them.

More recently Butera sold to Arango Cigar Co. which is an Illinois based company.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Thanks Glenn! Figured it was something to do with patents and company rights. Hope Arango keeps the Esoterica leaf commissioned through JFG....

Ed
    Puff

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Two of my favorites. They are different but both are excellent.

I just wish Arango would get Kingfisher in production again.

David Emond and HCraven like this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Yeah. Why not change the packaging to bring it into the Esoterica line and call it good.

David Emond likes this.
  7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Have yet to open that lone tin of
    Brown Flake of mine, but I remember
    Stonehaven well enough to make some
    comparison once the other is popped.

David Emond likes this.
  8. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I think the leaf is similar with perhaps a little more Burley in Stonehaven. The reason I much prefer Brown Flake to Stonehaven is because it doesn't have that treacle topping. I also have to admit that while the little Stonehaven fiesta was going on last week, I was buying a dozen tins of Brown flake instead. It seems mostly gone again. Love the stuff.

David Emond likes this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I love them both too. I probably won't be happy until I have a couple of pounds of each!

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.