1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

John Sterling Pipes; Has Anyone Tried Them?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bri2k, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I saw this lovely looking John Sterling Canadian over on Cup O' Joe's:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=jstm2761

I did a search here and on Google but came up empty. Have any of you tried this make and what can you tell me about them? The price seems right and it sure is a looker, but I'd like to look before I leap.

Thanks in advance for helping me find out how good or bad they are.

Bri2k

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Since they're made by Comoy, they should be good smokers! At first I suspected they might be Comoy seconds, but it looks like they're a multi-brand play by Comoy.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

dondi tends to know his stuff, so if he says they're comoy, they're comoy. they also tend to overproduce, so their seconds are usually very high quality, almost indistinguishable from their primary lines. about half my briars are comoy seconds msinly pre- cadogan. they're all amazing smokers with beautiful grains and minimal fills. maybe not a specimen straight grain, but damn pretty, dry, and cool. definitely recommend their pre-cadogan billiards and dublins.

judging by the four-digit shape number thats a cadogan era piece, but honestly for all the **** people talk on them, my cadogan comoys smoke great too. i'd deffo grab that thing if i had the cash. you should get it.

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Seconded. My newer Comoys smoke fantastically and none of them cost me more than $65 so I don't see what those whiners have to complain about.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks gents! On your advice, I ordered one today off the Pipe Tobacco Place:

[​IMG]

It's a bit on the small side for a Canadian, roughly similar in size to my beloved Kaywoodie Canadian.

Bri2k

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Don't discount small bowls, bud...I tend to waste weed in the bigger ones...sometimes a 'relaxing 12 hour smoke' is a bit much. My little Grabow still gets smoked habitually because it's one of the few small bowls I have. I think my aversion to it stems from the fact I'm fairly tall with large hands. Proportions are off.

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's an excellent piece of advice, yinyang! I picked up a Princet briar with a very small bowl that's an outstanding smoker which I use daily. I like my large Canadians for when I settle in for an hour-plus, but I found my smaller Kaywoodie Canadian and Yello Bole Imperials to be perfect for half-hour or less smoking sessions. As I'm built along the lines of "Mr. Five-by-Five", smaller pipes agree with me.

I'm really looking forward to firing up this Sterling!

Bri2k

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think if you want a really big Canadian you have to look into the Italians, Castello and that crowd make some larger stuff.

I prefer big pipes too, being a bigger dude. And while a 2 hour smoke is far too much for me, I do enjoy the solid barely warm "I could do this as long as I wanted" vibe that big pipes give off.

There's a kaywoodie handmade supergrain liverpool at Park Lane for 75 bucks that has a 1.5" deep bowl. Those are non-stinger pipes too. Pretty good bang for the buck I'd wager.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hope you enjoy it when it arrives - it's a seriously nice looking classicly shaped pipe. As the blurb says it's made in Comoy's factory, they're telling you what kind of briar they're using and the workmanship looks sound - so it looks like you've got a bargain!

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Being a virginia smoker I prefer the smaller bowled billiards, a dunhill size 2-3 are ideal for ready-rubbed or broken flake virginias. The Dr. Grabow saddle bit billiards with a bowl size of 1 1/2" deep by 11/16" width smoke well for me and are my personal favorite.

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

The pipe arrived today and if this "test-drive" is any indication, I'll be enjoying my John Sterling Medium Canadian for a long time. It's almost the same size as my beloved Kaywoodie Canadian, except it's a little longer. Smokes an absolute dream filled with OGS. Thanks again for the info, gents. I probably wouldn't have taken the plunge otherwise.

Bri2k

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

:)

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

See, "peer pressure" is a GOOD thing :)

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

This is a great place for all of us to learn from each other! Thanks for giving your feedback too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.