Just a dumb question.....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mr Fingers, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

There are some fancy boo teek cigs. But in my world you had "store boughts" & RYO.:old:

Coastal Bend likes this.
  2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I am not a cigarette smoker but, at least at one time there was a shop in New York, fairly famous but I'm having a mental block right now on the name, they had cigarettes that carried their own name that some friends smoked. They were tobacco cigarettes without additives -- unless you count the added price they carried. By now, with regular cigarettes being expensive on their own cigarettes like those would be prohibitive, I'm thinking. Those cigarettes would burn out if set down, just like a cigar -- which at the time was pretty amazing.

I did not know that something had been added to the already long list of cigarette additives to keep them from continuing to burn. That's a real incentive to stay away from them. :rolleyes:

Edit/Add: Seems like the name of that shop was Nat Sherman.

3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I seem to recollect that a few years ago the nannies mandated this to keep people from setting themselves on fire. Sometimes I'm inclined to think it might not be a bad thing if the nannies would back off and let these folks remove themselves from the gene pool.

4. dBear

dBear Active Member

Yeah, Shermans! Excellent cigs. High dollar, but if you could afford the cash, they were great. Used to buy them through the catalog. They had several varieties with different tobacco blends and flavored papers.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

American Spirit also has additive free cigarettes, and even a perique blend.

dBear likes this.
  6. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Ive tried American Spirit back when they had a deal where you could get a free carton of cigs if you paid the shipping which was six dollars. I didn't particularly like them. Too strong if I'm remembering correctly.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sure. I used to enjoy the non-filtered Balkan Sobranie cigarettes that came 10 to a tin. Long gone, though. I think they still make Sobranie Black Russians, which is also a top dog cig. Oriental tobacco in Camels? Well, ok, but it's not nearly as noticeable as the orientals in Black Russians. Today they still make Davidoff Magnums. If you look at a Marlboro's tobacco, it's mostly brown (burley). The Davidoff's tobacco is orange (virginia). Very high quality cigarette. So good that if you were an everyday Marlboro smoker, you'd think the Dav's taste "funny".

There are also Dunhill, Silk Cut, Export A, Rothman's, and many other higher quality imported cigarettes. Nat Sherman makes domestic cigarettes that are of much higher quality than your average "OTC".

dBear likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Try the orange pack.

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I agree with many here on the subject. Tobacco, the smoker, and for me I smoke outdoors most all of the time. The outdoor conditions greatly effect the process. I always figured like now when its winter where I am at--the inside of the pipe is hot--the outside ambient temps. are cold---so it sort of works like the reverse of a drink with ice in it. Since the temps. are different I suspect that some moisture will develope in the pipe. For this reason I always carry massive amounts of Longs cotton pipe cleaners with me. They do a super job. Since I smoke mostly outdoors ALL of my pipes MUST pass the pipe cleaner test. Granted I never get huge amounts of moisture, but from time to time I run one down in, and grab any moisture that starts.

dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.