1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Just cracked the seal on a tin of..........

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Capt, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt

Capt Active Member

McClelland's #27 matured Virginia. A loose shag cut flake, comprised of orange-red Va, with a strong vinegar aroma. Not ketchup, but vinegar. Easy to rub out, decent moisture in this tin from 2/09. I have some drying out right now, I'll report back when I set fire to it.

What are you cracking open today?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Ahh..........purrrrfect! Enjoy is great weed.

Peterson Sweet Killarney......

Capt likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Not my favorite of the brown label McClelland VA's, but a worthy one!

Not today but tomorrow I'm cracking open a tin of SG Golden Glow that a hugely respected and mightily loved PSF member sent to me and, yes, I'm smoking it in a corn cob pipe, courtesy of same member. :th1:

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

D, what is your favorite blend of the brown? I also ordered some #24 and some Dark Star from the personal series. I liked Blackwoods so much, I wanted to try Dark Star.

I wish I would've known you like Golden Glow, I just gave away 3 tins cause it smelled like horse pee pee to me.

5. dmkerr

In order (because I'm OCD about listmaking!)... Navy Cavendish, #24, #25, #27 and #22. The first two are very close in my ranking and the last 3 are very close. If you don't like the #24, I'll trade ya!

I actually have not smoked Golden Glow yet. And I've smoked blends that were much worse than horse pee and survived. :D

6. user0003

I remember Dark Star bing pretty good, my need a revisit.

7. Capt

Capt Active Member

Horse pee pee smell goes away, but then it smells like horse hay. lol

It is me, or does this #27 taste A LOT like Christmas Cheer 2005 without the tongue bite????

Lestrade likes this.
  8. dmkerr

Dark Star was one of the best tasting virginias I've ever smoked. If I could just figure out how to keep it lit! Some people had no trouble, so I guess I need to revisit it, too. But it was a miserable time I went through with the 2 tins I smoked.

9. user0003

Should you find that you like Golden Glow, it's known as Medium Virginia Flake(MVF) in bulk.

10. dmkerr

Thanks. Any chance of the bulk hitting our shores during this decade?

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It's not just you. :) Enjoy the McClelland's #27. :puffy:

12. user0003

Absolutly...........when in the next ten years is the ?

13. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Just popped the lid of a tin of Erinmore Mixture that stuff smells so sweet in the tin. (limited options around here)

14. dmkerr

I'm afraid to ask how much a tin of Erinmore costs in Australia!

15. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Hi dmkerr are you sitting down thirty nine dollars (spelt it out for extra dramatic effect) i only have a couple of pipes a week luckily.

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Two summers ago, I cracked my first tin of GG and thought it was a very acceptable smoke. With a year in the jar, it got dark and soooo much tastier and sweeter. I like it bunches.

Tins of leaf can and often does smell weird or off-putting when first opened. I recall opening a can of C&D Vintage Burley Flake #2 and it smelled like a wet pair of schoolgirls panties, beyond musty, I thought of not smoking it but did and it was ok....put it away and tried it 2 weeks later and at the bowls end, got online and ordered a couple of pounds of it. So don't let the initial smells turn you off.....sometimes, it's worth sticking with it.

Ed
    Puff

17. dmkerr

I believe I wrote that it reminded me of a combination of old gym lockers and spoiled milk. Probably the worst tin note I've ever experienced. Good tobacco, though. Not my favorite of the C&D Burley Flakes but a very worthy blend. #3 is in my regular rotation.

18. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Thats almost disturbing.. Hmm this tin smells like something, but I can't place the scent ohh wait there it is yes yes, a wet pair of school girls panties.....:eek:

Capt likes this.
  19. user0003

Don't ask..........

20. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I too was a young schoolboy always trying my darndest to get into the ....... Well, you all know the rest.... ;)

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.