Just interested

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Bryan71, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

As a new pipe smoker i am interested to know what people keep there tabacco in.I have seen a couple of nice Tabacco Jars.At present i am using a couple of rubber seal top glass jars.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Mason jars are the best for long term storage. Plastic is OK for short term, but tobacco will dry out over time in plastic containers.

3. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

When you say Mason jars.Will any ceramic jar with a rubber seal lid be ok

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you have some tins that aren't open, these can be left alone as is. Except for tin flaws, or maybe storing them under salt water or something, tins are designed for the long haul.

Still, properly sealed mason jars, like Woody says, are the conventional, surest bet.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Glass is best. Ceramic short term should be ok, but I wouldn't trust long term. It is porous, I believe, and well eventually let air in and moisture out. Someone with actual experience with ceramic should verify this, since I'm guessing here.

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

I have a couple of old ceramic tobacco jars that were my grandfathers... The glazing on them makes them "non-porous" and the lid seals tightly with the rubber gasket... it's what they were designed for. Think of it like this... clay pots were formed and fired by American Indians (and other cultures) for years to transport/store water. A glazed vase holds water without leaking for the display of flowers...

These "tobacco jars" are more decorative than a glass mason jar, but they are also heavier and more expensive.

If you just want to store the tobacco (in a closet, for example), go with a mason jar. If you are going to be displaying it on a shelf, get a decorative jar...

Kiowapipe likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Go to the kitchenware section of your local Wally World. They sell round glass jars with good air-tight seals for $3.97, or round acrylic jars with a bail-latch type of seal (air-tight) for $5.97. I like the glass jars better, but either one works nicely and you wont go broke buying them. However, I don't think they'd work very well for long-term cellaring purposes - just to store the bulk or OTC blends that you're smoking on a regular basis. Just be sure to buy one of those little round humidifier thingies for each jar, and keep them wet by dropping them in a glass of distilled water once a week or so.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Spot on advice, these are the very ones I use and they work well, the bale tops are my favorite and will tobacco moisture for a very long time, most tobaccos I cellar are cellared in the original tins.

9. ric03

ric03 Member

I've found with the bail-latch ones they work great so long as you check they are firm to close before buying. Bought several unbranded ones from our local supermarket, without realising (they were quite loose -- not much force required to snap them closed) and the toby soon dried in them (a couple of them were even slightly warped so weren't even airtight when I looked closely! :eek:) Just test them before buying to syphon out any dodgy ones.

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Bail-tops are cool, but you can get a flat of a dozen canning jars (quart size) for about ten bucks at any grocery store, and you know they'll seal.

11. RTOdhner

The canning jars are great for cellaring, and depending on how much I like the Stokkebye Navy Flak that I just ordered, I may start cellaring bulk. (I've started cellaring, but just tubs of OTC and tinned toby - both of which are already sealed). I don't think the mason jars would look good in my smoking area, though. That's why I use those Wally World jars. They look very nice on the shelf next to my pipes. The really nice toby jars with the pictures of foxes and stuff on them look even nicer, but some how I can't bring myself to shell-out $100 or more on a jar just to hold toby - regardless of whether they were hand-painted and hand-fired by Italian artisans. (Besides, their seals stink).

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I have a handful of the glass jars you speak of, and they're OK if you keep a humidisc in them and if they're fairly full. They look something like these, but clear, and with a plastic seal, and hold about 4 -6 oz of tobacco. Kind of a pleasing shape, I think.
    [​IMG]

More below...

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I also recently acquired this 4 oz Burl Walnut jar from my local pipe store:
    [​IMG]
    As RTOdhner said, the seals aren't that great, and in fact I got this one for only $9 for that reason (and because it was old, and because I'm such a good regular customer:thu:.)

The gasket was pretty dried out and the lid fit a bit sloppy, so I cut the old flat gasket out of the recess in the lid, got a piece of cork gasket material, and made a new seal by gluing the cork to the inside lip of the lid with a little wood glue. Once dried, I trimmed and sanded the cork a bit to adjust the fit, and now it is nice and snug and seems to hold moisture well. Of course it still has a sponge for humidification, which I occasionally add a few drops to, but I have no complaints after nearly a month of use.

Mostly, I use mason jars or original tins, if they're good enough to hold some moisture.

Herb

14. RTOdhner

I like that jar. It's got a nice understated elegance to it. What blend are you keeping in it?

15. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Like others said, mason jars for long term storage. For every day use I like the bail top glass jars.

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

My favorite, Squadron Leader.

17. RTOdhner

That's on my TAD list. I've read too many rave reviews here on PSF not to give it a try, and I'm thinking that next month would be a good time to do it. That is if I can find it, cuz it looks like the places I normally order from don't have any in stock at this time.

18. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Original tins or Mason jars are the best way. Fancy looking jars won't do the job. Neoprene gaskets deteriorate, as do pure rubber gaskets.

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I recently got some from pipesandtobaccos.com. They had it for a while because their price wasn't that good, but now they're out again. I have hopes that some more will cross the Atlantic soon. I'm ok for a while, but there's some other stuff I want from SG.

20. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I keep my toby in the plastic bags and tins that it comes in usually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.