1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Noticed Something About My Peterson

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Dunhill93, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

I might just be going insane or my observation could indeed be true. I am a huge fan of the blend GL Pease Robusto and whenever I smoke it in my smaller bowled basket pipe(50 dollar leonessa) that is already broken in this tobacco really shines and it is highly complex, however when i smoke the same tobacco in my peterson pipe that I just recently purchased the tobacco tastes almost like hot air with very little tobacco flavor/nuances and it seems much milder. Do various pipes alter the flavor of the same tobacco or does it have to do with my pete not being broken in yet? Any suggestions or ideas please let me know

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Yes, different pipes do bring out different facets of any tobacco. Which Peterson pipe? I've smoked Petersons for quite a while and with a few exceptions they do change character dramatically as they break in.

dhintonca likes this.
  3. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

its a peterson kapet x220

4. Old Codger

Nice pipe. Try smoking half bowls slowly. I find if I'm losing flavour it's because things are getting too hot. Slow down and see what that does after a couple of bowls.

dhintonca likes this.
  5. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

thanks alot, i will try your method.

6. Old Codger

Been a while since I broke in a new Peterson. Something else that came to mind. Really good charring light. Tamp down gently all around the bowl. Give it a moment to cool down before re-lighting, and then just draw gently. I've had only one Peterson that was a bitter s.o.b. for the first few smokes and then it came around like someone had flipped a switch. Probably my impatience as much as anything at the time.

dhintonca likes this.
  7. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

sounds good. do you own any of the killarney peterson's or the system's?

8. Old Codger

Yes, but I haven't smoked them in a while.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Your Pete will taste like poo for a while. OC is giving good advice on the break in. Don't get discouraged, it'll come 'round.

10. Old Codger

Just went and looked, the Peterson Kildare was the one that presented an unusual challenge. At the other end of the spectrum is a deluxe silver mounted that was pretty nice right out of the box.

11. DocB

DocB Active Member

Absolutely true with my Petersons as well. That's why I sorta stick to the old idea that several bowls of a less-complex tobacco does a newer pipe wonders during the break-in stages. I like to believe that a decent cake foundation can be initiated with some CH, PA, etc. and after 5-10 smokes I can switch to the good stuff. Not that those aren't good, because they are. Just in their own right and in the right pipe, etc.

12. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

Welp now i have a wealth of suggestions. I am actually about to go down to my perch and smoke a bowl in the pete because I am done with finals and I have plenty of idle time

13. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Great advice given here. I think it's true for almost any pipe. Bare briar is gonna taste bitter until it's coated. And if you go too fast you'll just compound it. Not to mention the risk of singeing the bowl. Go easy and smoke some burley for awhile until its broken in good.

14. Dunhill93

Dunhill93 Member

I don't really have any burley blends, all of my blends are english with heavy virginia bases and also I have some frog morton on the town but latakia is not really a good cake builder because it tends to smoke a tad wet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.