Just ordered a MM grab bag...

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by BuffaloPiper, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Grab bag just came in! Here's what I received:
    2 mini cobs
    5 bent Legends or Washingtons (I can't tell the difference from the site really.)
    1 Pony Express
    1 Mizzou
    2 bent Diplomats

I will probably pass the mini's off to a friend, but either way- I gotta buy another pipe rack!! Antique stores here I come.. :thu2:

Dimik likes this.
  2. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

The Legend has a yellow finish, the Washington is clear/ white plaster in color. Otherwise I believe they are identical pipes.

3. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

I ordered a grab bag in Feb. basicly, I paid thirty dollers for one pipe. The other nine were either cracked badly in the bowl, off center shanks, or given away. 4 smokable pipes total. $7.00/smokable pipe, I guess. Won't do it again.

4. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

That's really surprising. You're the only one I've ever heard of who's had such an experience.

5. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

And the Washington's have black stems while the Legends have yellow.

6. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Ordered 2 bags a few days ago and they came today.
    As I opened the box I immediately saw the HUGE, GIGANTIC bent McArthur. Can't figure out what's the flaw with it, but I'm not complaining. That thing is so big I had to use a knife to see how deep it goes. That's like a 3-4 hour Carter Hall smoke if my pace in a Legend is any indication.
    Other than McA, I got a straight General, bent Diplomat, a bunch of straight and bent Washingtons and Legends in two shapes (the regular and the round-wider-at-the-top whatever those are called). Total score: 9 bent, 11 straight - perfect combination! I prefer straight cobs, so I'm happy. No minis, no weird little tiny ones, and I can't figure out what the cosmetic flaws are with the ones they sent me. Basically both bags are totally awesome!

gd9704 and Hofnar like this.
  7. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

Jack pot! Congrats!

8. DODiF

DODiF Member

Dumb question...where can I order a grab bag from? I thought it was from aristocob, but couldn't find anything there?

9. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

TWolf likes this.
  10. TWolf

TWolf Member

JRobert likes this.
  11. DODiF

DODiF Member

Thanks guys.

12. michiganlover

That style of Legend is a called a Rob Roy.

Coda likes this.
  13. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Thank you for telling me. I like it. Looks neat.

14. michiganlover

Ordered a MM Grab Bag, here is what I got:

1 Diplomat bent
    1 Missouri Pride bent
    1 Missouri Pride straight
    1 Washington's bent
    2 Legend bent
    1 Legend straight
    2 Rob Roy Legends bent
    1 Pony Express

A nice selection, and I am very happy to have the Rob Roys as I think that shape looks awesome. Really happy to have the Diplomat too as I don't have one in my collection.

Flaws are minimal in most of these. I consider it to be a very worthwhile buy!

The Diplomat is the worst from an aesthetics standpoint. The top of the cob chamber is uneven with some pieces missing, and the inside of the bowl looks like it has fins on the side, as if the drill bit ripped away the sides instead of cleanly cutting. Nothing that will effect it's smoking qualities though.

Dimik likes this.
  15. Newbaccy

Newbaccy Member

Sounds like a good buy. I like the Rob Roy shape and hope to get one soon. I really like my Pony Express since I'm a slow smoker.

16. michiganlover

I have an Eaton, which is the unfinished/ naked version of the Pony Express. While you would think it would be a short smoke, I usually got at least 30 minutes out of mine.

I also have a number of longer straight amber bits intended for the MacArther, and Patriot that will fit the Eaton/ Pony Express. Turns it into a mini-church warden of sorts. Certainly a fun variation to play around with.

17. Newbaccy

Newbaccy Member

Good idea. I never thought of that.

18. Butts

Butts Member

After reading this I HAD to buy a grab bag. I got 4 bent legends, 3 straight legends, 1 Missouri Pride, 1 Diplomat and a McArthur! The only thing I can see that is bad is the stem on the Pride is unglued and the Diplomat has a huge cut in the bowl. It looks like the drill bit was stopped when they pulled it out. All of the others the only thing I can tell the rim is not perfect. Happy Happy Happy! (I think I talked the wife into buying more)

gd9704 and Dimik like this.
  19. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Yeah, I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

gd9704 likes this.
  20. Kudakitsune

Kudakitsune Member

I went and did it too. Not sure how I feel about my luck and the lack of variety it caused in the bag but now I can give old faithful a bit more of a rest.

I got all plaster cobs, 2 Mizzou, 6 Legends (4 bent/ 2 straight), 2 straight Diplomats.

The only functional problems I found were one diplomat drilled way too high and the other having a slightly loose bit, both easily remedied and it's not like I wasn't going to mess with them some before I started breaking them in anyway. Worked out well enough and the gamble was fun even if I didn't get anything amazing I still got ten new pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.