1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

just picked up number 6.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by svns1xtw0, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

I just placed my introduction in the appropriate forum, and I'm ready to dive in. So i was in Boswell's shop today and the itch finally got to me. I picked up a sweet number at $75, and I can't help but think its a steal. These things go for just as much if not more on eBay.

[​IMG]

Certain things in life choose the owner. I saw this, and it opened the case, and got into my hand. It smokes smoother, longer and more tastefully than any of my other pipes. It fits my hand like it was made for me. Very, very weird. It's hard to see it in the picture, but I promise that the grain on it is like looking at a work of art. In a way, it is. I know his son is into making pipes now, and Dan is a great guy. I can't wait to grab one of his as well.

RTOdhner likes this.
  2. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

Nice....a Boswell. And, $75 seems like a real good price.

3. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

What is the obsession with Boswell pipes? Are the newer ones better? I have a few older ones, and I can say they are not the first to come out of my rack. There is a huge following though, so I guess they did something right.

4. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

I've only got one, I wouldn't call it an obsession. They are very nice for the price though. J.M. Boswell's fame is growing, and I'm glad to have a piece of the legacy. Like my meerschaum, it will stay home. I have a few Grabows and a corn cob that get used when i go out.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on that Sweet pipe! I love it! Beale.

6. TxPipesmoker

Oh I was not pointing my statement at you. I used your post as an avenue to post my question. Sorry for the attempted highjack

7. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

Ah, I see what you meant. Yeah, the popularity has picked up in recent years. His store is more crowded now than its ever been. But it might just be the awesome leather couches he's got inside...

8. TxPipesmoker

Mybe so.. Enjoy the pipe.

9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I think it's cool the way it looks melted.:)

How in the world did he do that?

10. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

Not sure. Smokes very well though.

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think the big appeal of a Boswell is getting a unique hand-made piece for $100. I've never owned one, but I like most of the ones I've seen.

12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Wow, very nice, and $75 is not bad at all.

13. Capt

Capt Active Member

Being a huge shotgun collector/bird hunter, I have always wanted one of his shotshell pipes. Nice pipe by the way!

14. TxPipesmoker

They have a fishing pipe that I like the looks of, but I own 2 Boswell's and can't stand them. They both burn way to hot no matter what you put in them or how you smoke them. They were both bought at the same time in 04 maybe it was just the batch. Oh well I prefer the old Custom bilts and the like.

15. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

They are nice pipes and smoke really good. I have 2 and they are my best pipes.
    I have one really similar to that one.

[​IMG]

RealityCheck likes this.
  16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I would love to be allowed in the shop to watch while one of those twists is made.

17. svns1xtw0

svns1xtw0 Member

They say on the site that you can watch as they make them, though I have never asked to do so. I would love to see as well. I would really like to see the differences between Boswells and a larger company that makes batches of pipes like, say, Dr. Grabow.

18. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

JM was making one while I was there, but I didn't go back and watch. He came out and met me, wearing a very dusty apron. I asked Dan who made the pipe I bought, him or his dad? He said most of their pipes were a joint effort. One of my pipes just says Boswell the other says JM Boswell, so I figure JM prolly made the one with JM Boswell on it.

19. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

I REALLY love that pipe david, I love those artsy kind of pipes. That's a great pipe svns, you're lucky I don't live near you or I would have traded in some textbooks for that :bdance:

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

w/ a sanding disc , honey ... Jeez

SSGpiper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.