1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Purchased a Ben Wade Preben Holm!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BrianthePipeman, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

I was in the local tobacco store for some pipe cleaners and new tobacco. I was just talking to my friend that works there and kind of reminiscing over some pipes. He pulls out a display of Danish free hand pipes. So I'm just sitting there looking at them, wishing I had the money for one. Then he says, "This one is pretty cool, its a Ben Wade Preben Holm." I literally almost cried from joy. I managed to bargain it down to $80. To just stumble across one of these THE DAY after I was looking at them on ebay and saying to myself, "I'm never going to have the cash to get one of these". I think its pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to posting some pictures of it.

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Good for you, and I hope you never lose that joy of a new pipe obtained. After 40 years of pipe smoking, I never have. That is one of the great things about pipes as a hobby!

3. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

Thanks! I am really looking forward to this pipe. I'm making two payments on it because I didn't have the cash with me. I put 20 down and I'm going back next week to pick it up.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Those are sweet! Mine got run over by a truck (long story that I think I shared on another post here) and I also had one of Preben's Private Collection pipes.

Comparing the two visually, and in consideration of their $200 difference in price, I found a small sandpit on the Ben Wade version that I could barely see. That's it. The grain was equally nice and they smoked the same. You bought a killer pipe at a fantastic price! Enjoy!

Man, Preben Holm sure could carve, couldn't he? He really knew how to make the most of grain.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

I just got my new Ben Wade from Iwan Ries 2 days ago. I was so excited about it. I know I have been recommended to buy an older one but this pipe is really beautiful. The wood grain is really nice and the workmanship seems to be great. I smoked it twice already and I am really enjoying it. It is also stamped "Made in London". On another forum, I was warned that it may be stamped "made in France" so I was nervous. But much to my surprise it is a great pipe especially at the price I paid. Around $50 with shipping etc.

6. BrianthePipeman

BrianthePipeman Member

I am really hoping I like this pipe. And If I don't, the Preben Holm's have a good resale value.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm sure you will! The only possible downside to these pipes is that there is so much wood on them that they tend towards the heavy side. If you're a clencher, that might present a problem but if you hold the pipe while smoking, you'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.