1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Just purchased a "bruyere garantie" oddball pipe...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

The only words on this are "bruyere garantie" which is German, the last word is a direct cognate and means guarantee, but that's the easy part! It separates into four pieces, the bowl is a metal insert with a cap and vented bottom plate to keep the tobacco from dropping through. The wood pieces have carved threads to connect with each other. The mouth piece seems to be bake-lite, but was affected by some sort of insect (I didn't catch that until I had it apart post-purchase and discovered the remnants of the insects) All age related deterioration aside, it's pretty snazzy and I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with one, or come across another example? There are a few on e-bay with closed auctions, but a google image search pops them up right away. I don't have pictures yet, I haven't been home long enough to do so. Thanks for reading!

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Can't view the pics (sounds interesting though)

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I'll transfer them to another file server, sorry about that. Since Facebook changed their photo app, it's extremely difficult to link to a picture.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

There seems to be a new surge of these pipes on ebay, etsy, etc. They were made from (1860? or)1861-1945 and many were world war 2 bring backs. The name means Briar Guarantee, literally translated. It likely means Briar Guarantied. The bowls are interchangeable, and there are many styles of pipes made by this company. All I know is that with some repairs, I can give a good review of how the pipe smokes! :D

7. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Member

I bought one about 6 months ago but haven't smoked out of it. Cool looking pipe though.

8. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

I just placed a bid on one on Ebay

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Ahhh, the old Tyrolean lap pipe. I've been tempted to buy one. I have a hard time picturing myself smoking one though.

10. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

I saw three at an antique shop today but couldn't pull the trigger on them because of condition. One of them had a porcelain bowl that but the bowl was loose and the stem was broken off. Another one I saw looked interesting because it was wood and had like a deer head carved at the bottom and a piece of antler near the stem. Same problem with loose fitting parts though. The third one almost had me because it had a bigger bowl, the cap was on it and working but when she reached in to pick it up the pieces separated. Even at $48 I didn't buy it because I don't know anything about these types of pipes. They all looked like they were heavily smoked though so I don't think they were "decorative".

11. PappyMac

PappyMac Active Member

And of course, searching on the internet for any information on these gives you no real information. I saw one page that said they were popular from the mid-1800's until the end of WWII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.