1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Just scored 6 pipes / stand / roll up

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I didnt make it to Blue Ridge today but I did make it to Murphy N.C. . Was at a flea market and scored these pipes and stand , along w/ a black leather Everyman roll up ... for 25 bucks :)

pipes from top to bottom :
    1. Nice grained london made pipe
    2. Dr Grabow Sliver Duke Pot .. this is why laquer sucks .. I'll refinish this pipe and it will look killer
    3. LHS .. Has some real nice birdseye and the other side is a little blah . It's in nice shape
    4. Whitehall .. Nice grain and super light weight . I'm fireing this one first
    5. No name w/ spade ... been wanting a hoaky pipe , now I got one
    6. Dr. Grabow Grand Duke ... close to my favorite shape

Theyve all been smoked a good amount . They have an even cake , some 50 % .
    The Leather Everyman roll up is killer . It's better than what I have
    When I get some compound and wax ... they'll get a heck of a cleaning . First , I'm gonna rheem em and salt and whiskey them

I'm happy w/ the score ! One of the six [ odds are ] will smoke super killer and the other should be good .. at least theyre broken in , like back in the 1970's :)The Stand is a Decatur

[​IMG]

2. furious

furious Junque collector

Nice score!! Should clean up nicely.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Nice haul for 25 bucks!

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

I fired up the Whitehall [ 4th pipe down ]. I rheemed the chamber and ran whiskey through the shank and stem [ scrubbed ] ... just about at the end of the bowl now [ H&H ] . I dont know what it is but any of the smooth Whitehalls with decent grain seem to smoke real good . The rusticated , not so much .Go figure . Also, the top pipe is a prince shape, not a pot

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Sweet! I have a very similar Grabow, and it smokes like a champ!

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

Cool ... yer talkin the bottom Grabow , I bet ... it's an awesome shape ! I'll refinish the stand and the jar lid , maybe tomorrrow if I have the time . I'll also get rid of the laquer on the Grabow pot, which is as light weight as the Whitehall i smoked . I opened up the draw hole on the Top pipe and gave it a basic cleaning and ran whiskey in the shank and stem . I'll smoke it in a little while

Jussto likes this.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Yes, I think mine is a Riviera and is a little slimmer, but a real trooper!

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I swear by my Grabows, and those other pipes ain't bad too. ;)

I will say I am looking forward to the re-finish. If you are going to avoid the crazy lacqour look, throw a few pics up yeah? I've seen some 'naked' Grabows with some BEAUTIFUL grain.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. will

will Member

Very nice haul.

I picked up a Whitehall for cheap a couple months ago and it is a very nice smoker.
    One of my better briars.
    Enjoy.

ruffinogold likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

Depending on what the wood looks like , I'll shoot for leaving it unstained . Sometime I can take the varnish off while leaving some of the stain color , like a lighter version of whatever color is on the pipe already . It's less work and I'd be all for it . I'll take a pic and post it .. heck , anything would look better than where it's at , atm

11. ruffinogold

I havent refinished the Dr Grabow Pot yet .. but I have smoked the Dr. Grabow bulldog/pear [ bottom pipe ] .. just had a bowl of Sail Green in it and it was great . I also smoked the top pipe yesterday [ 3 times ] and it's a very nice pipe in the way it smokes and looks . So far , three pipes smoked .. three good pipes ! 3 to go . I think I can sneek out to the barn to start refinishing the Grabow Pot ....

12. ruffinogold

Well , I got the laquer off the Grabow Pot and was able to keep the color . The black spot is in the wood so this is as far as I go spending time on it . I could sand the bowl down and chase the fisure or maybe it's an exterior burn mark ... someone might have held a flame to it , who knows . Its not worth the time for me to do either , atm . . . so it will be going to work w/ me tomorrow ... and thats fine ! Oh well , 5 mins wasnt all that much time to spend on it . I was hoping it was a surface burn on the finish .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preacher1611 and Hudson like this.
  13. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I looks like a surface burn to me. It has happened to me on two different occasions, you knock the ash out and lay the pipe in the ashtray and ouch gotta burn. The other time it happened I was smoking a cigarette and it rolled out of the trough and ouch a burn. The location of the burn is another key, too high up for a burnout.

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

It very well could be just as you say . I cant see anything in the chamber as far as a fisure , but I know that dosent matter . It is high but I've seen burnouts up high before . I'm more inclined to think as you said though . It seems to be an exterior burn mark . I'll take it to work anyway , cause I want to smokie it , and I'll sand it when I have time to see how far it goes ... hopefully not far . I wouldnt mind it being stained a darker Walnut color , come to think of it . Hmmmmmm

15. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Great score!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.