1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Just smoked my new (to me) Meerschaum for the first time.....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David L, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David L

David L Member

So, I felt that I read up about Meers enough to light mine up for the first time. Wow! I have never had such a cool and dry smoke! When I got to the last 1/3 of the bowl I couldn't believe how much flavor was down there! :startle: It was like I was smoking a new tobacco I'd never smoked before. I am sure others have had this same experience and I had read similar stories, but I couldn't believe the difference! Good stuff!

I had posted about this pipe in particular in the "Pipes for Sale-ebay" section.

When I had broken down the pipe and started to clean and sanitize it I realized a pipe cleaner would not go through to the bowl. I tried and tried, but could not make it happen. I remembered I had some thinner diameter cleaners, so I tried one and after a struggle it went through, but just barely. I started reading up on here and someone (I believe it was Sasquatch) had written an article about re-drilling the airhole. On this pipe the airhole came out too high in the bowl for my taste so I got a 5/32" drill bit and CAREFULLY continued drilling the hole. I used the bit and a small pair of pliers to twist the bit in. I took my time and had to stop about 4 times to knock the material out of the pipe and off of the bit. When I finished the airhole came out right where it was supposed to and I could fit a pipe cleaner in with no struggle. The fit was just right. It wasn't that difficult to re-drill because the old hole just acted as a pilot hole and the size difference wasn't that much.

Anyway, this turned out to be a great smoker (albeit with a little work involved) and I couldn't be happier! :thumbsu:

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Awesome to hear. Kind of fun when you know you had a hand in it yourself.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

We must have photos or the pipe does not exist! Glad you like it.

4. David L

David L Member

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Uh-oh! Once the White Goddess gets hold of you, there's no going back!

I had the same epiphany that you had. My poor briars are sitting in my pipe rack collecting dust. I need to clean 'em up and sell 'em, because I rarely smoke anything but meerschaums anymore.

That was a nice score on your part! glad you're enjoying them. Better stop now before your briars start to feel severely neglected. :thumbsu:

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Another acolyte to the White Goddess....you are lost! Like DMK, I rarely touch my briars any more, though I still have quite a few. When I pass on, they will go to the kids....the meers, I'm taking with me! :roflmao:

(should have no problem keeping them lit....where I'm headed! :whistle: )

EDIT> Just realized what auction....which of the two meers are we talking about here....the larger one? As you remember, I didn't hold out much hope for the little one....like to be proven wrong though.........

7. David L

David L Member

The large one.....I haven't tried the small one yet. I probably will today....I'll let you all know how it goes. BTW-The smaller pipe is just that: small. I reckon I could only get about a 10 minute smoke out of of it.

8. Gondar

Gondar Member

That is a great score, and a smoking experience I can relate to. :eek:hyeah:
    Enjoy for many years!

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really glad it's working for you.

I had to do something similar with a Barling African meer. Barling had a theory that a tighter draw improved the smoking qualities of a pipe - a theory that didn't work for me. I dug out Sas' drawing and set to patiently with a modelmaker's needle file and the improvement that made to that pipe was nobody's business.

As it's meer it takes a bit of nreve to get started as you'll know, but it is worth it,

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. David L

David L Member

Update:

I smoked the second smaller pipe and it was an "ok" experience. It was about a 15 minute smoke with some Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls. The flavor was great like the other pipe, but the pipe was so small I felt like a giant. The airhole was quite a bit smaller than the larger Meer and it will take some getting used to. It felt like trying to breathe through a straw :snorkel:
    I may try an "improvement" on this one like the larger one.

Anyway, I doubt this will be a regular in the rotation, but it is a cute little pipe that I will grab from time to time for a short smoke.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.