1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Just Won

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rider, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rider

Rider Member

just won these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150445862417&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

nothing fancy but what do yall think? :)

any info on the carey?

2. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

That is a steal! Nice work.

Jay

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's one sweet deal! Every Kaywoodie in my collection smokes like a champ and the Kaywoodie you got is worth at least twice what you paid for both pipes!

Bri2k

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Lol ..I was gonna bid on that earlier but got sidetracked [ kids ] . Yeah man nice score. .. Glad one of us got it ! :)

5. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Congratulations! The Kaywoodie looks really good. I'm unfamiliar the the second pipe, but definitely a value!

6. genuine

genuine Member

Word! Great pick up man! I too, just won some pipes off of ebay. I got an amphora and a dr. grabow, both bent.

Just finished up cleaning the amphora, still waiting on the other one to come in.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

You did rather well on that one - both nice classic looking pipes. The one with the vents on the top of the stem is a Carey pipe, featuring their Patented "Magic Inch System" - this I'm told works like a carburretor; its used in connection with their balsa filter sleeves.

I have no experience of using them, but again Morleyssohn speaks well of them, commenting that the grain on a Carey is usually exceptionally good for the price and offering the suggestion that duck tape can be used in lieu of the balsa sleeve. Google E.A.Carey for more info.

There will probably be a sub brand name type on the Carey as well as Carey's name - if you post it I'll see if its still current when I get back to Scotland where I have a current Carey Catalogue - they use names like "Sheer Genius."

After the supplies of African Meerschaum dried up Laxey's pipe factory on the Isle of Man made briar pipes for Carey's for a while but production ceased earlier this century - don't know who makes them now.

In the 70's Carey's were so convinced of their system that they advertised an offer nationally in the U.K. - "order a pipe, pay nothing, smoke it for a month and if you like it pay for it, if you don't return it broken in half and there's no charge!"

Hope this helps

Gerry

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You might have fun with the KW, if the meer is in good shape. I have a London made Careys apple that is outta this world good. Maybe the best cheap smoker I ever had. I like a big draw, so I removed the plastic and papyrus, and blocked the vents with electrical tape.

I tried a couple of the Careys marked "grecian", but didn't have as much luck. You can still go to Careys website and buy all the filter stuff if you choose to go that way. Have fun with them.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I have two Careys (one Grecian and one Italian). They both smoke okay and are used regularly.
    The only "problem" I've felt is that the stems are not so good. They feel like cheap plastic and, in the area where the slots are, the plastic is so thin that it would be very easy to break when attaching it to the pipe.
    The "papyrite" sleeves are one of those old-time gimicks that pipe makers came up with back in the day. It doesn't gum up like a filter, it doesn't interfere with passing a pipe cleaner through, and it is a conversation piece when others notice it through the slits.
    Good catch on both pipes. Let us know how you enjoy them when they show up.
    Dan

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Carey was my first pipe....I've been smoking them off and on since the 60's. They are a great pipe, especially for the price. I suggest you smoke yours with the sleeve before you go taping things up....very cool, dry smoke. I now have seven Careys + a Carey meerschaum...all going back to the 70's and 80's.

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

What T bear said. As a rule, you should not do anything the way I do it. Ask anybody.

T bear, are any of your patent pipes? I noticed a huge difference in the mechanics in the newer ones.

12. Rider

Rider Member

Great info Gerry. thanks a lot :coffee:

by everyone's comments i guess i confirmed my thoughts that i did good :coffee:

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

All but 2 JP....the old patent era pipes *do* seem to be better crafted, and the wood seems to be of better quality and grade. A couple of mine have stunning grain. As for the "cheap" stems...they are actually nylon. They are very thin at the base, but also quite strong. I had some odds-n-ends stems a while back and decided to do a bent...like to never got it to bend! Boiling water...nope! Blow dryer...Hah! Heat gun...blistered first. Went through three stems before I got one to bend with the heat gun, and then only a quarter bent. Yep, they're tough!

14. SBritton

SBritton Member

I said it once, I will say it again. Depends on how it smokes. I will take a great smoker over a great looker any day.

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Amen! If even one of them smokes good you got a good deal.

If I'm reading it right it's almost exactly ten bucks with shipping for 2 briar pipes...hell yeah, I'd have done it.
    :thumbsu: ​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.