Kaywoodie Bulldog

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by mecompco, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Got this "white briar" Kaywoodie off the 'Bay a while back for around $12. I suspected it was meer, but somehow never found time to inform the seller. :D

It has a yellow logo and four hole stinger. Anyone care to offer a guess as to the vintage? The stem and button were chewed up a bit--got a bit more work to do, but I think the black superglue treatment is going to be fine. It is pretty heavy--did Kaywoodie user African or pressed meer? I would suspect one or the other.

[​IMG]
    browny, Rymw, Johnny Dingo and 4 others like this.
  2. xrundog

xrundog Sales Account

It's a 50s pipe. Turkish block meerschaum. I have a couple like that in different sizes. Looking at the bit, I think that's a nylon stem. Black super glue works well on those. They are high quality really great smoking meers. Clean it up and for $22 you will be very satisfied. They were top line expensive pipes in their day.
    bubbagump, Rockbass and mecompco like this.
  3. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Was hoping you'd see the post--thanks for the info! The stem "seems" like ebonite--but I'm no expert. As you might see from the photo, I've filled in the dents and built up the button a bit. It still needs some work, but I couldn't wait to smoke it and am doing so "as we speak". Nice to know its Turkish--just seems a bit heavy. For a pipe with a stinger, it is smoking very well.

Any thoughts on cleaning up the meer? There are more nicks on the other side--or just leave it alone and smoke it? For $12 I am more than satisfied. :)
  4. Summit

Summit Live Simply

Nice find!
    bubbagump and mecompco like this.
  5. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Thanks! I was surprised to get it cheap, thought someone else "in the know" would have bid it up. You win some, you lose some, I guess. Usually I get rid of stingers, but this pipe seems to be smoking gurgle-free, so perhaps I'll not circumcise it just yet.
  6. xrundog

xrundog Sales Account

I routinely clean up meerschaums. It's easier than you might think. I wet sand it with 600 grit wet/dry. do it evenly to avoid fllat spots. Use a light hand. Wipe the resultant slurry away often. After you have wiped it down and it's dry, use the full spectrum of Micromesh cloths to bring back the polished surface. The patina will still be there. Go lightly with the Micromesh as well. You aren't sanding. You are polishing/sealing the surface. Waxing will bring out the color more if you want to do that.

Ebonite sands with a brown slurry. Nylon is grayish.

Not all stingers are equal. I think it depends on the factory batch. I drill them out sometimes if they seem restricted. If you get a good open one, I think they smoke fine.
  7. xrundog

xrundog Sales Account

By the way, the logo isn't yellow, it's just dirty.:puffy:
    mecompco likes this.
  8. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human.

Awesome pipe and you can't beat the price you paid. I love a pipe with character.
    mecompco likes this.
  9. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Really! Thanks for the info. It sure looks yellow, and for some reason I though they "used" to be that way. You learn something new every day. :)

PS I will try the clean-up you recommend. Have been meaning to get a micro-mesh set, anyway and this is a good excuse.
  10. Coda

Coda Active Member

I find meerdogs to be especially appealing, for some reason...
    mecompco likes this.
  11. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human.

Me too.
    mecompco likes this.
  12. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I do like this one. For some reason I've delegated my briar Bulldogs for Lat use, but I think this one might see multiple blend use.
    MikeInMaine and Summit like this.
  13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Personal opinion only....I would prefer to see it left "as is" as far as the nicks, dings etc. They are a sign of character to me and show that the pipe was well loved. I would mix up a bowl of water and dish detergent, give it a nice washing to remove the grime, clean off the lava on the rim, and smoke that lovely. Of course, it's your pipe and your choice...............

Sweet little pipe, whatever your decision. For resale value, keep the stinger intact. four-hole pipes are well sought after pieces.
    If it starts to smoke hard, then either sell it off or cut off the stinger. Just know that doing so reduces the "collectable" value considerably.
    Coda likes this.
  14. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Thanks for the input! I am pleased at how it smokes--I'll keep the stinger if it continues to perform like it is. Now to finish up the stem.