1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Kaywoodie Chesterfield

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bent, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

So, for a while I've been restoring and collecting Kaywoodies, those old ones sure are a pleasure to smoke. Every Kaywoodie I've restored, and also the two new ones I got from WV Smokeshop are just tremendous pipes for the money. I have to say, I'm a fan.

Well, I was browsing ebay for Kaywoodies a couple of weeks ago and came across a Kaywoodie Chesterfield that caught my eye. It is a bent billiard with a military mount and a P-lip. So, I got the pipe, restored it, and WOW! an instant favorite.

The pipe does not have a stinger. The draw is perfect, and the P-lip is comfy. There is absolutely zero gurgle, the thing smokes dry and cool, and to be honest it puts to shame the two Dunhills (and everything else in my collection) I have..

I wish the modern factory pipe was always this good. Even the current makers of Kaywoodies have a thing or two to learn from the old ones, just saying. I never understood why the modern factory pipe makers couldn't make pipes of the same quality they used to. I get it, materials are more expensive, but they could still ask for more money. Just like Grabows: The vintage ones are a thing of beauty and craftmanship, for a factory pipe I mean. The new Grabows, well, I would use those as "disposable" pipes to decorate a snow man.

2. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

"The vintage ones are a thing of beauty and craftmanship, for a factory pipe I mean."

They sure are! Well put Bent!:toast:

3. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Does your Chesterfield look a little like mine you can see in my avatar pic? There were several makers that used that style back then. Mine is from 1941 and is made by breezewood. Its made from laural wood.

4. bosun

bosun Active Member

It might be a psychological thing, but I've found that many of the 'older' pipes smoke better than the newer ones. Wether the wood has simply aged more or what I don't know. Most of these pipes are probably made on the same machines from 'back then' with the same design features and the same materials. Back then the workers had the same push to crank them out as they do now. The only difference should be is you don't have to break them in!

YAPPG likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Kaywoodies are excellent pipes ! The really old ones are stellar and the modern ones are good to great depending on the line . Chesterfields are very cool , I'd like to own one .......... added to PAD list ! The bummer is that they are starting to go for real money on ebay . If I had ever thought people would catch on , I'd have bagged a ton of them at 5 bucks . I just figured people would keep thinking of them as drug store pipes and I would have an endless variety to choose from at any moment . Nothing lasts forever

6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I'm going to have to go on a hunt for a Kaywoodie Chesterfield.

YAPPG likes this.
  7. Bent

Bent Member

looks exactly like yours, mine is briar.

YAPPG likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

So it's true... Dunhills and Petersons are made entirely by hand in thatched roofed cottages by magical elves using wood from talking trees. (This one time they cut down this tree that these other elves baked cookies in! Man, what a skirmish! The gnomes still talk about it.)

I agree w/ the Mayor, Kaywoodie continues to make some very good pipes as does Dr. Grabow. Are all their current lines/models to my liking? Nope. But somebody is buying them or else they wouldn't make 'em...

9. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I won a small bulldog/rhodesian shape pipe tonight on ebay. It has the anchor,star, and bird on it. So it's a Chesterfield. I'll post pics when I get it. I like Kaywoodies so I've been wanting a Chesterfield. What I read is that Chesterfield is kinda hit and miss on quality. YAPPG could you post some pics of that wartime pipe made out of laurel wood? I've been curious to what the grain looks like.

Wildcat likes this.
  10. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

The Chesterfield line started with C.P.F. Then Frank bought C.P.F., later Frank bought Kaywoodie, and Kaywoodie ends up with a Chesterfield. At least that's the way I understand it. BTW, I have a couple Breezewoods. They are good smoking pipes. And they look okay. Not much in the way of interesting grain though.

11. SteveNH

SteveNH Active Member

I got a few Kaywoodies in a used furniture store that were used as decorations in a cabinet. I love the shape of them and hope to restore them to usable condition, pending new stems from Tim West. The stems have the stingers in them that screw into the pipe and I mistakenly dissolved the stingers when cleaning the stem in bleach.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  12. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Yeah bleach is rough but I didn't know it would dissolve stingers. Good to know. I stick with OxyClean on stems when doing a renovation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.