1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaywoodie Ebay Find

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bri2k, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

One of the things I learned from Marc is that some "drugstore" pipes are excellent smokers, Kaywoodies being my favorite.

When I saw this beauty, an unsmoked Kaywoodie Fine Line canadian going for less than $20 with shipping, I had to take the plunge!

Bri2k

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That's cool.... I have a number of Kaywoodies and the are great pipes. My favorite being a 13b Standard and a 13b Meer.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Kaywoodies smoke so differently than what I'm used to that I just could get my head around them. I just can't abide the stinger. So many guys like them that I wish I could enjoy them too, but it just never clicked for me. I like the "new era" pipes without stingers quite a bit.

4. Legend

Legend Member

I feel the same...the one good thing about the old Grabows is that the stinger/cleaner is designed to be removed if one wishes so. That is a nice pipe, I like the American made pipes. Some others that are worth getting a hold of are Custombilts, Marxmans, Ehrlichs, and Webers. All good smokers. Try a Custombilt out...you'll be SHOCKED at how well they smoke for a cheap pipe.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

You know, it's funny, but if I had my druthers, I'd normally go for a pipe without a stinger. Every Kaywoodie I've had so far has given me hours of pleasure and faultless performance. They're every bit the equal of my Peterson Kapet which cost twice as much and then some. Another plus is they're so cheap and available that while I'd hate to lose one, the hit to the wallet wouldn't be too bad.

Bri2k

6. Legend

Legend Member

It basically comes down to whether you are a pipe collector or a pipe smoker. You can be both, of course-I consider myself both. But when it comes down to it, I have no use for a big dollar pipe that smokes badly, and I have both experienced this and heard of it from others. I have found classic American "drugstore" pipes (Kaywoodies included) are the equal or better than higher priced European pipes. Kaywoodies, actually, were considered THE pipe to own back in the day. When I started pipe smoking, I decided that I wanted good smoking pipes, over asthetics, name, price, etc. I have found what I need in Grabows(especially the ones from 1960's-70's), other American makes I noted in the post above, and corn cob pipes. I must also mention the Falcon here, a real bargain I consider FWIW. I am willing to bet that people who are always looking for that "perfect" blend of tobacco would be surprised to find common blends out there totally satisfying and different if they actually tried them in a good smoker. Sorry for the rant, but I say don't let the snobs sideline you, if you are enjoying smoking an OTC in a Kaywoodie. One does not need to take out a second mortgage to get an enjoyable smoking experience. All that being said, I have nothing against collectors, have fun with that aspect of the hobby.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You know, for me, it's not about collectability or how much it cost... I just never got a smoke out of a Kaywoodie with a stinger that I though was as good as my mid grade Italians. I have a kaywoodie without a stinger, and I'd put that pipe up against any pipe in any collection in terms of smoking performance. The thing is ridiculous.

I suspect that smoking technique (and what you get used to) plays a large part. Certainly one man's "dream pipe" can absolutely fail to please another smoker. That's kind of one of the beauties of the hobby.

But Kaywoodies are classic, it seems like a class company, and Bill Feuerbach is definitely a straight shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.